My little zebra danios are dying fast!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 8 zebra danios to help cycle a starter tank. 5 gal, I know its small but I'm just getting some media ready for my 55 gal I'm still setting up.
I lost 1 on Sunday, 2 today, and I have a sick one tonihgt. I ran tests on my tanks and I came up with Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0, GH 300, KH 180, PH 7.8.
I don't know much about these things except Nitrite is bad, nitrate is good, and my PH needs to be around 7(?).
I was going to attach his picture but for some reason the attachment part is not working.
He's loosing his color just like the other 3 did.

Yeah ammonia needs to be known. Also, I think 8 may be too much even to cycle a 5 gallon.

You're probably right about the number. I'm new to this so I thought since they were small, I could have 8. I'm down to 4 now. :(
I'll check my ammonia level. I don't know what it is.
I appreciate the help on this. I love my little fish!

Also how long has it been set up?

I set it up Sat morning. I was trying to do a fish-in cycle. I guess I'm not too good at that. I've been checking my levels twice a day and my ph was a little high at first but it's 7.8 now. I don't know my ammonia levels. I did a pwc of 20% so we'll see what it looks like tonight.
Lost my 4th fish last night. Sad, he was a beautiful danio.
Here's a pic of what he was looking like before he died. He was starting to lose his coloring. :(

Attachments

• sick zebra danio.jpg.jpg
    sick zebra danio.jpg.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 86
looks like he has a body fungus, I would be doing 25% to 50% daily. Also your not going to cycle a 55 off a 5 gallon tank. Beneficial Bacteria grow or shrink to the size of tank and inhabitants. You could cycle a 5 from a 55 gallon. But it might not really matter. sorry. I'd take a few more picture, you may have a few cases of sickness going around plus cycling.

looks like he has a body fungus, I would be doing 25% to 50% daily. Also your not going to cycle a 55 off a 5 gallon tank. Beneficial Bacteria grow or shrink to the size of tank and inhabitants. You could cycle a 5 from a 55 gallon. But it might not really matter. sorry. I'd take a few more picture, you may have a few cases of sickness going around plus cycling.

Thanks for the input. I did a 20% pwc last night and will do another one tonight. I have a friend who's got a 100 gal tank and he's going to give me some media from it when I'm ready also. I think I was just too excited to wait and decided to start my own little "spare" tank. LOL! But I am glad you told me about that media ratio anyway because I didn't know that. I learn something new everytime I get on here! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom