Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ares
My Mollie is sick, Help!!!

I just lost one of my mollies. It's stomach got all bloated and then it died. This all happened in about the span of two days. Now another one of my mollies is starting to do the same thing. What in the world is wrong with them. I've looked up some of the different diseases, but nothing seems to match. Can anyone help?

Old 11-22-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look down at your mollie and see if the scales are sticking out, If so you have Dropsy. Which is a Bacterial infection, This can be treated with Maracyn two. My results with Dropsy have not been good and being this is your second fish to get sick prognosis doesn't look good. Treat anyway as this is contagious.
Good luck keep us posted

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanx so much!!! His scales are sticking out, so I think you're right about the dropsy. I think that it may be too late to save him, but there are other fish in the tank, so I'm gonna go ahead and buy some Maracyn 2 and start treating the tank. I would be open to any other advice you may have. Thanx again.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:09 PM   #4

EMS rocks w/disease advice, me, I'm not so good at that.

Ares, one thing you may cosider, for now or the future, is to buy another tank, (even a 5 gallon will do) for a quarantine/treatment tank. Its better to isolate your sick guys when using meds, and to keep disease from spreading.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:17 AM   #5

from what i understand dropsy can be bacterial, or it can be caused by other internal conditions, which accounts for the reason sometimes antibiotics work and sometimes they don't....
Old 11-23-2002, 01:44 PM   #6

I don't think he's gonna make it. I've started treating him, but he's starting to lie upside down now. At least now I'll be able to tell what's going on earlier and hopefully be able to save my poor little fishy if there is ever a next time. Thanx for everyones help
Old 11-24-2002, 01:06 PM   #7

Just a quick update. I got home from work last night and my poor mollie was dead. I gave him a burial in the toilet. The good thing is that I think I got him out of my tank in time to keep my other fish from getting sick. Hopefully I can keep it that way.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:53 PM   #8

Refer back to EMS503 post (Treat anyway as this is contagious), he is 100% correct and you should still continue treatment as once the symptoms of dropsy are seen it is usually to late. Don't stop treating your tank because you lost the fish with obvious signs, the infection has most likely spread and with no other fish showing signs the treatment should be successful.
fishnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 PM   #9

I'll be sure to keep treating the tank. Thanx for all the advice.

Tags
ick, mollie, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com