Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Mollys Have Ick...Please Help!!!

My black molly has ick and i am changing water and putting in "Ick Remedy" medicine by Marineland. I think my cremecicle molly has it but i cant tell because of the white/yellow color
My dalmation molly has orange color on his face and i dont know what it is Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484004433.537021.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	293070Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484004456.628414.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	293071Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484004491.326762.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	293072Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484004755.302992.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	293073Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484004905.610574.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	293075

Old 01-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, has the orange colour always been there? On mine I had little off-orange scales develop over time. Just the way the fish was,

Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

How long have you had the fish? If you've only got them recently, it's often down to previous bad water quality. In transport, they can get ammonia burns due to there not being a lot of water and the amount of waste mollies produce. Or the pet store didn't take good care of their fish. Either way, if your water quality is good, the issues should resolve in time. Remember to always add a little salt to your tank water.
If you've had them for a few months or longer, it's usually down to water changes not being frequent enough, or water changes being all of the water gets replaced. I'd recommend frequent water changes (at least twice a week while there is a health issue), a little salt (cures most early stage aliments), and if you can afford it, bacterial control.
Good luck with your fish! (:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks So Much!! I have had the yellow and dalmaton ones for about 2 months i have had the black on for maybe a month. I think it is water changing. I dont do it quite as often as i should!! Where can i get these things you sugested? Who makes them?!
Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah, so not too long then. I think it probably is a combination of poor conditions during transport and at the pet store.
As for your infrequent water changes; it's okay, we've all done it. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes, and try to set up specific times and days of the week to set aside for tank maintenance.
For the other products that i mentioned, i usually pick mine up at a local pet store, or online. I got my AQ salt from amazon, for around £5 (it comes in a sort of "juice carton"), and I've just bought a gravel pump for £7. (smaller ones are cheaper, i just got a large) The bacterial control i picked up at the pet store for about £6, and i got the King British one. I'd also recommend the brand Prime, and apparently Tetra are rather good too, however i haven't had any experience with any of their products so i can't give you a personal opinion there.

Also, some useful information; I'm not entirely sure about this, but I've read that mollies can get quite stressed in smaller tanks. They like lots of hiding places, but apparently they like to be able to roam a little, of which they can't do in smaller tanks. Not having this opportunity can actually lead to health issues, and premature death!
I have a 17L tank, and i used to have three mollies. All three of them eventually got freak illnesses and died. Just bought a 60L tank in case, so i'd recommend getting a decent sized tank if you haven't already. (Just wanted to share in case this is true, bc this was definitely not something i was told when i bought the fish)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay thanks so much. Do u know what the orange spots are or not?!
Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrehm View Post
Thanks
Quote:
On mine I had little off-orange scales develop over time. Just the way the fish was,
Quote:
Where can i get these things you sugested? Who makes them?!
any pet shop should have them or you can always buy online
drs foster & smith
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrehm View Post
Thanks
The spots seem quite a vibrant orange, so it's most likely just their natural colouration. They can come in all sorts of colours, and bc they're livebearers and breed a lot, two fish of different colourations have probably bred to create the unique colouration yours has.
If you're super concerned it may be something serious, just keep an eye on the orange patches. Write down a daily log of how the patches look and any difference in appearance or the fish's behaviour.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My black molly is swimming with its tail down does anyone know why or what i should do
Old 01-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks!!

Tags
ick, molly, mollys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com