My new snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new black mystery snail is just setting at the bottom of my tank. I got 2 the other one is fine. He is not getting bullied or anything. Been in tank almost 45 mins.

Snails can go into a snit for up to days at a time occasionally. Just watch for it to move from where it is and if it hasn't moved by tomorrow, give it a sniff.

HN1 said:
Snails can go into a snit for up to days at a time occasionally. Just watch for it to move from where it is and if it hasn't moved by tomorrow, give it a sniff.

Thanks he just moved I was just scared has him in the bag to long.

Mumma.of.two said:
They can go days or weeks without seeming to move. It's normal. Did you acclimate them before you added them?

They are fie but what does acclimate mean? Set them in tank so they can get use to it I did. Sorry I have a small vocab.

Fishie said:
They are fie but what does acclimate mean? Set them in tank so they can get use to it I did. Sorry I have a small vocab.

Yes. To acclimate a fish, snail or shrimp you float the bag for ten minutes or so to equalize the temperature. Then every 5-10 minutes add some tank water to the bag. Continue until the water in the bag has doubled. Net the animal and release into the tank. Discard the bag water. Don't tip it into you tank. Doing it this way stops the animal being shocked/stressed by the sudden change in water conditions from the bad to the tank. There is another way called drip acclimatization. There are videos on YouTube that explain that.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes. To acclimate a fish, snail or shrimp you float the bag for ten minutes or so to equalize the temperature. Then every 5-10 minutes add some tank water to the bag. Continue until the water in the bag has doubled. Net the animal and release into the tank. Discard the bag water. Don't tip it into you tank. Doing it this way stops the animal being shocked/stressed by the sudden change in water conditions from the bad to the tank. There is another way called drip acclimatization. There are videos on YouTube that explain that.

Thanks!! Will obey this method next time!

Back
Top Bottom