Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank needs to be bigger its too small for 2 oscars and I do give them frequent water changes

Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ok so ph is 6.6, what are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings? how many gallons is the tank?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you donít clean your tank regularly, you may find Grayish cottony patches on skin or gills - This is probably a fungus caused by large amounts of decaying matter (fish waste and food) in the tank. It should be easy to clear up with treatments if it has not progressed too far. You can buy treatments online and, of course, clean the tank more often to prevent this from happening.
Sometimes the cause of a disease also causes another, the Oscar Fish Disease is sometimes found with fish that have rotting fins. Likely caused by bacteria, this is another disease that happens due to poor water quality. Fish that are stressed are more likely to be affected. Isolate any fish that show this problem to keep it from spreading to your other fish. Treat the tank with medicine formulated specifically for this problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks like something is definately stressing your fish out. Watch the fish together to be sure they aren't fighting. What size tank are they in and what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

This really looks like an oscar that has been in a fight.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #15

Heres my Tank TRUST ME IM GOING TO A WAY BIGGER TANK
So dont go off on me Heres my Tank the water is tinted green do to ick med

POSSIBLE SUSPECT

Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think your fish have ich. You should probably get that out. Hopefully someone else will chime in and let you know what you should do.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #17

I agree But.... I dont think there fighting that stage so I think is over but his fins are frail or rotting and his gills are deteriorating
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #18

Weird because the white one is ok nothing like the other onelike I sad above I haven't seen them fight at all just when I got the white one they were killing each other but now the black one looks more sick then his but being whooped
Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your black oscar has a fungus, which could be secondary to fighting. They could be fighting for territory as they get older and the black one got wounded which let the fungus grow on him.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't see any white fuffy patches on the oscar which would indicate fungus. I do see patches of eroded and missing skin. The fins are split because of fighting. There is a good chance that this has opened the door for a bacterial infection. If you do not get one of the oscars out of the tank, the black one will succumb to stress and disease and die. The white one has extablished the tank as it's territory and is most likely bullying the black one. There is also a high probablility that your water parameters are way off and that is contributing to your problem as well. Oscars are VERY messy eaters.

Oscars are south american cichlids, not african. You should really think about taking both of them back to the store or finding them a new home if you cannot upgrade your tank. This problem isn't going to go away as long as they are in that tiny tank. Oscars can get upwards of 18 inches and have a large body mass. A 55 g tank would be the minimum for 1.

Tags
oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com