My Pleco has lost the lower half portion of his body!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coral

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm writing for the first time. Please, I really need some advice. I'm desperate.

It all began with the most recent water change. TWO days after the water change, the water became white and the pleco didn't move. I changed the water again but the pleco didn't respond. He also lost his appettite. At the fourth day I noticed that the lower half portion of his body was becoming white. His eyes were also whitish. SO I went to the pet shop and asked for treatment and they recommended triple sulpha , suggesting that it was fungus. After finishing the dose, the white dissappeared, but the skin of that portion was discolored and very, but very dry. Nonetheless, the fish was moving around the aquarium and was sticking again to the walls, but the water was very white. As I noticed that the skin of that portion continued to be discolored, and that there were stains of blood, I went to the pet shop again and they recommended Melafix. So, at the second day of the treatment with Melafix, as the fish went to the wall, the lower half portion of his body dettached, he bleeded and lost his balance, but anyway went to the wall. Now he doesn't have balance to stay flat at the bottom of the tank, but remains at a 45 degree angle, with his head at the bottom, and the rest of his body (well, what remains!) lifted. But again, he moves quickly and sticks to the walls. The pet shop owner says that he will regenerate that part of his body but I really think that my pleco won't last long. I really love this fish and would do ANYTHING for him.

Can you explain what happened to him, what treatment is possible (if any), and how long my fish will last? Or I just sit down and watch him die? HELP ME PLEASE! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

THANKS!

OMG.I think I am going to cry. It sound like he is through the worst of it. He's eating again. That's a good sign. Good Luck. I hope he makes it. You are a brave soul to give him every chance to survive. With such an ordeal, many people would have given up on him. You have a kind heart. Keep us informed.

Half of his body fell off?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. If you can take a picture of it, I'd like to see that. So, does he have like a huge open wound now, or does it look "natural"? Wow...

-j

God! Thanks for your words of support. I had this "little spark" that maybe someone here have heard something like this before, becuase I went to all pet shops that are nearby and nobody has heard something alike. Its really depressing seeing him like this. I really, really love him and feel like all of this is happening to me. And yes, he has a huge open wound. Well, I'd rather call it a hole! My pleco was so beautiful and now looks like an alien. I'll keep you informed, and again, if you know something about this disease (I'll call it some sort of cancer) please let me know. Thanks again :(

well if maybe if it's just an open wound you could try adding a little aquarium salt to help kill any infections on the wound then also get some stress coat to put into the aquarium. the stress coat has aloe vera in it that will help cover the would and promote the reconstruction of the skin.

Your water may be white because of a bacteria bloom, this usually happens when you first fill your tank with water or it can also happen because of waste in the gravel...keep doing partial water changes and do add some salt and stress coat as "kribbz" mentioned. Hope your pleco recovers!

I am all for the salt idea, that will help heal him up. I would use one tablespoon per gallon for medicinal purposes. I also have never heard this.

Thanks again!

My pleco is still alive and keeps sticking to the walls (I still can't believe it :!: ) I will continue with him until the end of the fight. I want to know, the salt is added daily? Actually I am adding Melafix once daily. Which one is better, Melafix, the aquarium salt or a combination of both? :?:

i think you can use both. and as for the salt i don't know if you can add it daily or not i usually just add about one teaspoon per gallon once. i don't know what the value of adding every day would really do for you. it may actually hurt your system. but i don't know for sure.

Adding it daily would cause the salt level in the tank to slowly rise. You should only add it once.

When you do a water change calculate how much water you have taken out of the system. Lets use 2 gal of water as an example.

If you take 2 gal of water out. Then you should measure out two gal of freshwater but before adding it mix the correct amount of aquarium salt for the two gal your adding and then add that mixed water to the tank.

This way the salt level in the tank will not rise above medecimal levels.

Hi!

Well, I'm very grateful for all your advice and support. I can tell that my pleco is a hero, becuase he's still alive, and better yet, his "tail" is growing again. I don't expect him to develop a tail as such, but at least his big open wound has already healed and he has a really beuatiful color! :)

Thanks for all!

some plecs will tolerate some salt, but i would start out really low and watch him closely--i have not had a problem with mine up to a tablespoon to 5 gals, but there are a zillion different 'common plecos' out there, all of which will not tolerate it...so if you do be careful, if he's doing that well, i wouldn't do it

I forget what type of catfish this is, but I read that over time as it got older, you needed to keep adding salt to the water right up until 100% marine. Catfish don't have scales. I'll try and find it and get back on what type it is.

I realise its been a while, but how is your plec doing coral? Has everything healed completely?

Use aquarium salt, not table salt.

and its around 1 heavy tablespoon of salt to every five gallons of water. Altho some types of aquarium salt may have different isntructions and ammounts..

The salt will stay in the tank through evaporation, since it dosn't evaporate.

However you will need to add more salt after a water change. The ammount depending on how much you take out.

Back
Top Bottom