My Pleco is behaving weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused: My 5 1/2 inch Pleco has been acting weird the last few days, usually he is hiding all the time in his big ship or rocks but he has been hanging onto the glass towards the top of the tank for a few days. he is still swimming around and sucking on everything. Is he hungry? My 55 gallon has now been running for about 2 months with fish everyone else seems happy and my water test was good. How many wafers should I be feeding him in a day? I also noticed that mt tetras are eating his wafers also. Any info would be great still a newbie and don't want anything to happen to my Pleco.
Thanks.

I think there is a problem

I tested again (I am am new at this) My ph is 7.5, Nitrate around 30, Nitrite 0.2, but I have tested my ammonia twice now and it is showing clear so according to my test kit I need to add Nutrafin cycle? Is this correct. By the way just did a water change 2 days ago. Did I take out to much water? Help!

Okay, now I am pretty sure I have ick, spots on my bala shark and one or two on my darts & molly. Can I use the heat method to treat ick with the Pleco? should I use medication?:ermm:

shamu said:
Okay, now I am pretty sure I have ick, spots on my bala shark and one or two on my darts & molly. Can I use the heat method to treat ick with the Pleco? should I use medication?:ermm:

I believe malachite green will kill ich. You could also try salt but be very careful with it. Heat will definitely help, when I had ich I used 84-86 F.

shamu said:
I tested again (I am am new at this) My ph is 7.5, Nitrate around 30, Nitrite 0.2, but I have tested my ammonia twice now and it is showing clear so according to my test kit I need to add Nutrafin cycle? Is this correct. By the way just did a water change 2 days ago. Did I take out to much water? Help!

No such thing as adding too much fresh water to a tank. PWC dosent effect how your tank cycles. PWC are good things. If you are getting a reading of any ammonia or nitrite your tank is still cycling or has gone into a mini cycle (from removing filter media, adding too many fish at once, etc). If you get over 0.25ppm of ammonia or nitrate preform a PWC (water change) to bring it down. Any higher amounts than that can affect your fishes health. Make sure you use a good dechlorinator. There is no need to use any bacteria supplements like nutrifin cycle. Most of them contain the wrong kind of bacteria anyway. I will link an article about ich for you to read.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I'd like to add that a 55 gal is way too small for a bala shark, and they are schoolers that shouldn't be stocked in singles. If your pleco is a common, the tank is way too small for him as well. I can see you just upgraded from a 20 gal, but unfortunately this is still not large enough for your fish.

Thanks to everyone, I have started increasing the heat and the daily water changes, am running to get some Novaqua+ (if they carry it where I live). I have also taken out the carbon from my filter ( I heard this helps too). My only concern is that my pleco may not be able to tolerate the increased temp? Should I isolate him in another tank for now? but will have to set it up.
I feel so dumb, pretty sure I got the ick from new fish, I only isolated them for 2 weeks didn't realize it had to be longer.:facepalm:

Don't remove any fish. When you see one with symptoms, you must treat the entire tank for ich, which includes every fish.

Species can adjust to gradual temp changes, however, your tank is new, uncycled and it's overstocked, so you may have other issues to contend with.

Also another dumb question, my heater is almost at the highest temp and I am only reading 81 do I just put in an additional heater or do I have to go buy a bigger one? Never mind this WAS a dumb question I am going to buy a bigger heater.

It could be that your heater is not properly sized for your tank. Do you have the ability to set temps on it?

Back
Top Bottom