Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

my plecos keep dying

3 in one month allways die 2 days after they are introduced, tank is well established why are these things so hard to keep alive?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind are you getting? How big is your tank? What kind of fish do you have in there? What are your parameters? If you are getting them from the same place they might have a bad supplier.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What type of plecos are you getting? It may be established but have you checked what that breed of plecos water requirements are compared to the other fish you are getting? And wat are the other fish, they could be bullying them. You need to have terracotta caves or slate caves and maybe some bogwood for them to hide.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding your pleco? Algae in your tank is not enough. There's a variety of food than you can feed your pleco(algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, lettuce,etc...)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

They were all common plecos they all went in a 55gal their tankmates were 4 harlequin barbs a redtailed shark and a Senegal bichir
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was feeding hikari alage wafers
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Parameters?

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
Emi929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

greetings;

it has come to my attention that you have two threads about the exact same issue. though i have already anwsered your other one, i'll take time to anwser shortly to this one aswell.

it is important that you make sure your aquarium temperature is suitable for the catfish, when i aquired three catfish, they didn't eat the food that they were given for up towards the first week, instead, they feeded off the plants [live, ofcourse] and the tree stump. after that, they always eat the specialized catfish food when it's given to them. if the issue is that the catfish does not eat the food given to them, i can only recommend feeding multipical times a day, untill the catfish investigates and finds out that it is edible.

sincerely;
nrk.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyfish
They were all common plecos they all went in a 55gal their tankmates were 4 harlequin barbs a redtailed shark and a Senegal bichir
Hmm.. they get pretty big the common ones. Do you have live plants and or bog wood or something like that for them to eat off and hide round? As a previous person said, check what you're feeding them and how much. Blanched zucchini or courgette as i call it, is great for them, my BN plecos will eat tropical fish flakes too. Also try algae wafers or pellets. A lot of plecs will eat at night so dont always remove food not eaten after rest of fish have eaten. Plus check your water levels. Nitrates/nitrites, ammonia pH etc etc. My plecs are pretty hardy, even through a recent week ling ammonia spike they were fine, no major reactions or deaths. One other thing, when uve had them dead, how did u know for sure? Sounds stupid but my step mum has plecs recently had a period where she thought they were dead cz they were motionless and one was upside down, she couldnt see any movement for ages, after putting a treatment and changing water, i told her to put them in some warmer water and slowly they were fine, she noticed them breathing and then atarted moving round as normal. Dunno why it happens but mine have done it once also, rather strange, but if the waters too cold they become less active and can slow their growth down too.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you get another one and see if the red tail shark is buillying it. If you got it from only one store you might try another store.

Tags
dyi, dying, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com