My poor fish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kallakpop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, to start off my goldfish I have had for a year is in a glass vase, about two and a half gallons. This morning, I woke up, he was lying sideways and kinda flapping around, completely disoriented nd his tail sticking up. He could swim straight for little bit, but would go back side ways, and was very lethargic.It had been awhile since I cleaned his tank and fed him, so I immediately did those things. I then noticed that his color is changing. He has black on the tips of his fins now. Well, when I got back home, he is doing alittle better. He will stay level, but he doesn't swim much, and he still will not swim to the top. I think his stomach tools a little bloated, but not much. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Hi there :)

The black tips on the fins sound a little bit like fin rot. Also i don't want to stress you out but gold fish are heavy ammonia produces. They need
AT LEAST a 20 gallon for 1 fancy tail and in my opinion 1 single tail should be kept in AT LEAST a 40 gallon (i think its best single tales stay in ponds because the get large and so energetic).
Goldfish also need very good filters to :)
And even though goldfish is still alive after 1 year it wouldn't have been very happy :/ also goldfish can live for a very long time and can actually reach 40 years of age. Goldfish also need a good mixture of food to :) and not just dry flake foods. Search up on youtube or the internet to learn how to take care of goldfish :)

Good luck!

Hi there,

As mentioned above your tank is too small and you are most likely also getting a lot of water chemistry problems. A larger tank is needed but for the present, daily water changes using dechlorinated/treated tap water.

Are you aware of cycling in tanks? Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate? There are some stickies which you may find or I will try and post later.

Please, please, don't keep a goldfish in a vase. Like the other posters said, they need a LOT of room and filtration and water changes. They just cannot survive in something that small.

If you tested the water you would see that it is toxic with ammonia and probably nitrite. The black on its fins is from ammonia burns. If it looks bloated, it likely is starting to dropsy, and in that case it's next to impossible to save, I'm sorry to say.

If you want to try to save it, get it into a much larger tank ASAP. At least 20 gallons - more would be better. You can even put it in a large Rubbermaid storage bin. Get a BIG filter, not one of those wimpy ones that only does 40-50 gal an hour. Add an air stone. Read and learn all you can about the nitrogen cycle. You may not be able to save this fish, but if you do these things, you'll be better able to keep fish in the future.

He is doing better. He is more active, but his tail keeps floating up if he is stationary. Everyday he's improving though.

That fish has no hope of surviving. Bigger tank or he dies

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom