my poor sparkles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flibble86

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've just noticed that my platy has had a chunk taken out of her tail. I'm completely shocked as I haven't noticed any of the fish bothering her. I think I've got 2 boys and 2 girls so could this have been a little too boisterous mate after her?
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMAG0443.jpg
    IMAG0443.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 70
it also could have been the filter intake ive had one of my guppies get a chunk taken out if his tail so i had to put foam over the intake and it grew back

I don't think it could be the filter intake as it's a sealed tube and I've not seen any of the fish go near the top of it cuz of the bubble stream. I hope it does grow back, I feel really sorry for her. She's currently resting in a bush.

Sparkles is pretty much keeping herself to herself today, she has eaten but isn't interested in being near the other fish. Saw her earlier seem to shoo off the male that approached. I've just spent a good ten minutes trying to find her and she is on the bottom right next to a bush. Because she's got black scales it's great camo! Any ideas of what could be going on as I'm worried she's not getting on with her tankmates?

Red poo? Is this something to worry about as I have noticed on 2 occassions now that sparkles has had red poo. She (?) Still keeps away from the other fish most of the time, but swims about happily and eats fine. Could the poo be the new tub of food. The flakes are really bright colours!

platies are best kept in groups of 1male to 2 or more females, so it could be the males are more aggressive since they're competing. though you put a question mark, are you sure it's female and not a competing male? I can't see from the pics, but it should be dead easy to tell

I thought I had figured it out but someone has told me that one that I thought was male is a female. I've checked with the pic they showed me and I now don't no at all. I'll upload some pics but there soo quick!

ForumRunner_20130705_185323.jpg

ForumRunner_20130705_185419.jpg

Difficult to tell from those pics. Fin is closed so no idea. You need to try snap a pic when it's still. I know, tall order.

Back
Top Bottom