My rainbow fish are dropping like flies :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just turned on my tank lights to find another rainbow fish dead (one died yesterday). All of my other fish are perfectly fine. I even have Bolivian rams and they are acting normally and not showing any signs no signs of stress at all and color is normal. I'm so stumped :/

Edited: checked water params and all is just fine, ammo and nitrite both 0 and nitrates slightly above 10 and I'm guessing pH is maybe 7.5? I did both pH tests, normal pH was a darker blue than the darkest color of the pH and the high pH test was slightly lighter than the lightest high pH color. This is the only death I've had in a while, last death was due to bad stock.

Add a peppered Cory to the list :( This is so bizarre to me. What happened with this Cory was it came up to the top like normal, then it went vertical and literally was spinning in circles and wouldn't stop... It was so weird. This has me very scared. Any advice?

Does the deceased fish look abnormal in any way? Do the others look ok?

The rainbow fish didn't, but the cories belly was pretty red. I've looked over my others and they look fine. I'm wondering if, what I just figured out last night, my 2 Chinese algae eaters were the reason for my rainbows death, I've noticed the algae eaters chasing some of the rainbows quite a bit lately.

That could be possible, stressed out, I'm assuming they're both the same type of community.

Yes they are. I'm about to separate them soon, I'm getting some convicts from a member here Friday so ill be putting everything but the pleco and cae's in another tank

Very very sad to add to the death toll :( just found one of my panda cories dead :(( I really think my cae's are the culprit, the panda Cory had a big red spot on its side like it was attacked or something. Not to much longer, and they will be seperated. I'm working on cleaning out the tank they are going in and cleaning the 10g out they will temporarily be in while I make the switch.

How big are your cae?

I would say 3-4 inches. They've grown a lot since I've got them. I actually have a picture of one. Give me a little bit and I'll upload it to photo bucket and link it so you can see it.

I honestly wouldn't be so quick to blame on your poor algae eaters. It doesnt look big enough to kill a rainbow and I know pandas especially are one if the least Hardy cories. The wound you found was likely inflicted after death.

I used to have caes a long time ago and they went after fish larger than they were. I later learned that they can damage the slime coat of other fish. Can't remember if they feed off of it or what. My caes did seem like they were trying to"suck" on the other fish. ..

The Chinese algae eaters do try to attack other fish so they might be the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom