My sailfin molly can't swim?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I baught him 3 wks ago... he was doing wonderfull then one day about 4 days ago I find him vertical in the tank. either which direction.... if I watch him closely its only every once in awhile that he flicks his tail, and this usually straightens him out to a more horizontal position. For 2 days I had him in the maturation tank, just so he wasnt "floating around" he looked to be more 'stable" but I just think there was less flow in there and it helped him stay upright.... so I let him out, but today put him back in. He even sometimes is flat on his back?! sometimes looks like hes doing a slow motion backwards summersalt....?!

anyone know what could do this...

tank houses mollies and corydoras
20 gallon 78 degrees
amonia 0
nitrite 0
ph 8.2 (always been this high, comes out like like that from tank)
nitrate 10-20

I do weekely water changes, about 50-70%, nothing but him new to the tank or changed lately. :confused: and FYI this is not the same tank in my other post about fish dying.

Oh also forgot to add that I put in some cooked/shelled peas, thinking it couldnt hurt, he didnt touch them, he has no interest in eating that I can see at all!

He has some kind of swim bladder disease which is quite advanced at this point. I am afraid there is not much you can do. He is not eating and he cant swim, he is not going to live much longer.

thank-you for your prompt reply.... do you think euthanizing him at this point would be the best option for him? If theres not chance he'll pull through I dont want him to suffer any longer... :(

If he were my fish I would euthanize him. He has been doing this for 4 days now, that is long enough.

Back
Top Bottom