my severum is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
darkmatter_3500 said:
Thanks for clarifying that, I was not sure about it because I do not Know much about goldfish, I was thinking he could maybe use a bowl or something until he had his 125 running.

A bowl no, but a large plastic storage bin would work. They would need a filter with some of the filter media from the tank they came from. You are right. They have huge ammonia outputs. That's why they need large tanks and heavy filtration. :)

See, when I was younger and none of us knew anything about fish, we kept goldfish in bowls all the time. And looking back now I'm wondering... How did they ever live past a week??

my gold fish wont fit in a bowl the one is like 6 inches and the other is like 4 inches they cant go in the 125 wen its set up my water is much better than it was i do more water changes than i ever did like every other day my amonia went down again to 4

do u guys no anything bout fish breeding i have a texas that paired with a salvini an they keep trying to lay eggs but its not workin for some reason

They should be ok in a 125 with your oscar and sev just keep a eye on them. And the plastic tub setup that was recommended is a great idea, they are 5 dollars at walmart and maybe you could pick up a cheap sponge filter if you needed a while, just be sure to a piece of filter or something with bacteria on it in there with them , A sponge filter will cycle. You could make it work

bocj92 said:
do u guys no anything bout fish breeding i have a texas that paired with a salvini an they keep trying to lay eggs but its not workin for some reason

Most cichlids can spawn together it happens alot and a texas and salvini would be able to produce hybrids. It might take a few tries but they should get it right.

bocj92 said:
my gold fish wont fit in a bowl the one is like 6 inches and the other is like 4 inches they cant go in the 125 wen its set up my water is much better than it was i do more water changes than i ever did like every other day my amonia went down again to 4

You still haven't answered what kind of goldfish. Do you know someone with a pond? They sound the pond goldfish if they are that size. Honestly they will be so much better in a pond than a tub in the long run. (tubs fine short term) If you have the room you can get a blow up kiddies pool to house them in.

If ammonia is at 4 that's still too high. Keep doing very large water changes. You really need it 0.25ppm or less. Multiple water changes within minutes of each other are fine to do.

You can literally refill as you remove water.... I have found it to be effective. Just make sure you treat each pitcher of water before you put it in.

i no one is a commet gold fish and im not sure what the other one is he was black wen i bought it an then turned orange

I am sorry, I am a little confused... You already have over crowding and you are now asking about breeding?

Have you been able to move some of you fish to a more appropriate sized aquarium yet?

I think you should focus on re-housing and getting your current fishies healthy before you focus on breeding.

the gold fish r in a seperate tank and i didnt no much about fish wen i got them my salvini and texas r in a 65 gallon i took the gold fish out cause they were getin beat up the gold fish r my first priority i was jus wonderin **** i bet u made stupid decisions early too

Yes I did make stupid decisions and it was the fish that suffered , That is why im trying to help, dont feel to bad about it, just learn and grow from this

I im still learning , im sure we all are, our fish teach us, you can learn alot from these forums but you need to research on your own because alot of what you see here are are opinions, but alot of it is experience. Just do the best for your fish because you are their lifeline, they depend on you.

I dont think there is any reason to cuss. I understand that you are trying to learn.

What is the biggest issue you need help solving? Lets start there!

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned - the Oscar and severum are tropicals and need a heater, the goldfish are cold water fish and do not need a heater. What temperature is this tank being kept at?

your right there is no need to curse i apologize that was rude my severum is the problem bit he is clearing up there is a heater in the tank its being kept at 75

Goldfish prefer water around 65-70 and the severum and Oscar would be happier in water around 78-80. If you have an adjustable heater, warm the water up a little more and see if that helps the severum recover a little faster. If you do have a heater with the goldfish, set it low. When I first read through this I thought they were both in the tank at 75.

thr 2 goldfish and the oscar and severum are in the same tank but the heater is not ajustable it keeps it at 75

How is your Severum doing?

I wouldn't worry a ton about the goldfish temp. I keep it pretty warm in my house over the winter, so room temp keeps Manny's tank in the 70's and he seems to do ok.

If possible I am sure they would love their own tank that is kept at a lower temp. though.

Back
Top Bottom