My Shark is very sick and I can't figure it out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mightys4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm sorry to have to post a problem out of the gate, but I'm at wits end and can't find any help.

I have an irredescent shark (catfish). He is 12 years old, he is a member of my family and has been for a long time, and I'm distraught. Yeah, I know, its a fish, but he has been a good freind, so... Yes, I feel that strongly, so...

Less than a week ago, he developed a grey/white patch on his side near his dorsal fin, stopped eating. Now that patch appears to be red around the edges and the fins look dead. I treated for fungus to no avail. I'm now treating for columnarus (spelling?). Now his other side is showing signs of the grey in patches. There is no "cotton" appearance or organisms dangling, so I'm fairly sure it not parasitic.

I've been doing 25% water changes every day or other day, I have removed the activated charcoal and cleaned the filter as well. It is a fluval 450 which has always performed flawlessly.

I have a pleco in the tank that is uneffected, and roughly the same age. They are the only two fish in the tank.

Any thoughts, advice or help is genuinely appreciated, I don't want to lose my old man...

Regards, Gerry

how big is the tank? what are the paramaters? dont worry,most,if not all of us, feel that way about our fish.

how big is the tank? what are the paramaters? dont worry,most,if not all of us, feel that way about our fish.

Hi, thanks, its glad to know I'm not the only one! Tank is 40 gallons, Fluval biological filter, developed the grey area, which covers most of the right side literally in a day ot two, does not seem to be spreading, but it definitely has a red outline, is causing distress, no eating, frequent surfacing for air (not normal for him).

Currently treating with Copper Safe and Maracyn Plus. Had treated with Maracyn and Melafix (it was recommended by a local respected aquarium shop, although I worry it is snake oil myself). I'm worrying I've put too much medication in at this point, but his condition is not improving.

Are there other specifics that would help?

Also, Ammonia is negligable (would say below .5 likely less since water change an hour ago), Nitrate is negligable (0) and PH is 6.8.

I would try to post some pictures of the effected area. If your sure it's Columnaris the only medication I found to work is Jungle Fungus Clear and slowly lowering temps into the low 70's. If the fish is 12 years old it's severely stunted, a shark that age should be well over 36" by now. Stunting has a huge effect on overall health of the fish.

Hi, thanks, its glad to know I'm not the only one! Tank is 40 gallons, Fluval biological filter, developed the grey area, which covers most of the right side literally in a day ot two, does not seem to be spreading, but it definitely has a red outline, is causing distress, no eating, frequent surfacing for air (not normal for him).

Currently treating with Copper Safe and Maracyn Plus. Had treated with Maracyn and Melafix (it was recommended by a local respected aquarium shop, although I worry it is snake oil myself). I'm worrying I've put too much medication in at this point, but his condition is not improving.

Are there other specifics that would help?
that tank is too small,im fairly sure the min tank size is 75 gallons.it could be an injury.

that tank is too small,im fairly sure the min tank size is 75 gallons.it could be an injury.

Try multiplying that times 10, Pangasius hypophthalmus is one of those fish that should not be sold. Since 99.9% of aquarist can't provide long term housing...properly.

Try multiplying that times 10, Pangasius hypophthalmus is one of those fish that should not be sold. Since 99.9% of aquarist can't provide long term housing...properly.
oops,i confused it with silvertip shark... again

Back
Top Bottom