My sister's guppy is sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K heres all the info i think....

Male guppy- swims straight up or around the surface slowly, has been in the tank since around thanksgiving. He was shy at first, but then was always moving aroud...lots of energy in the little guy. Now...nothing! I fed him earlier and git him to eat.

Tank- 40 gallon established planted community-been up for around 4 months

Tankmates- 1 medium angel, one small angel, 10 glowlight tetras, 5 hatchetfish, 1 peacock eel, 1 featherfin cat. I haven't noticed anyone ever picking on him. I realize that as other fish get older he would be in trouble, but he should go in my sister's tank once it is cycled

Water perimeters- ammo 0, trites 0, trates <20, (tested before i did a water change today), temp 76 (turned it up a bit after)

Filteration- penguin biowheel 350, just cleaned it the day before by shakeing the media in a bucket of water change water.

Water change sheduale- i do about a 20-30% every sunday, but just did another after seeing the sick guppy

Miscellaneous- no chemicals around tank, rinse without soap before my hands go in the water, like i said, tank is fully established and cycled. No deaths since we had an outbreak of ick about 2 months ago.

Am i missing anything? I dont want the little guy to die, he is my sisters and iv grown to like him:) thanks everyone, im sure someone will help!

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry. :(
Has he been picked on?
Any bloating?
Tattered fins?
Spots?
Is he having trouble swimming?
I'm not too sure there's much you can do if he's on his way out. :(

Never been picked on
No nloating and never had problems eating
Fins are fine
And yes he isnt swimming too much......

Looks like ammonia was .25-.50

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Never been picked on
No nloating and never had problems eating
Fins are fine
And yes he isnt swimming too much......

Looks like ammonia was .25-.50

A PWC has been done yes?
Maybe turn the lights off to minimize stress.

Are you sure he's never been picked on? Take a little while to observe the tank for about fifteen minutes. You don't ever know what's happening in the tank 24/7, which is why I ask you watch them a bit more closely.

Ya my bro did a change while i was gone.....

And he was chased for like 2 minutes the first time we dropped him in about 3 weeks ago, but i have NEVER seen anything sence...

God i hate it when you loose fish for no reason

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya my bro did a change while i was gone.....

And he was chased for like 2 minutes the first time we dropped him in about 3 weeks ago, but i have NEVER seen anything sence...

God i hate it when you loose fish for no reason

It sucks I know. I really don't know if there's anything to do for him. At least I can't think of anything :( sorry

Mumma.of.two said:
It sucks I know. I really don't know if there's anything to do for him. At least I can't think of anything :( sorry

Ya....think we should get an AC 50 also for more filtration? Bec we ha ammonia?

As sad as it is fish will die of natural causes just like humans. Regardless of an immaculate tank and flawless water change schedule. There just isn't always an answer, or a solution.

cheeky_monkey said:
As sad as it is fish will die of natural causes just like humans. Regardless of an immaculate tank and flawless water change schedule. There just isn't always an answer, or a solution.

I guess...the worst part is that in the beginning, i didnt want my sister to keep him in the tank...then he started to show some real personality and we were even considering buying a lady friend for him. But ok, i will stay positive. He is still alive, and actually moving around now. Not like his old self, but still! If he gets worse should i euthanize? Also, anyone think i should get an AC 50??

Gboy66 said:
I guess...the worst part is that in the beginning, i didnt want my sister to keep him in the tank...then he started to show some real personality and we were even considering buying a lady friend for him. But ok, i will stay positive. He is still alive, and actually moving around now. Not like his old self, but still! If he gets worse should i euthanize? Also, anyone think i should get an AC 50??
That's good he's doing a bit better!
If you think he can't/won't recover then yes euthanasia is an option. Buying a new filter isn't really going to fix your ammonia problem because you will only have the same amount of BB (until they multiply). It will have more flow so more water will pass through it to be cleaned. If you have ammonia something is up in your tank. Overfeeding, not enough cleaning, over cleaning, forgetting to add prime, etc

Mumma.of.two said:
That's good he's doing a bit better!
If you think he can't/won't recover then yes euthanasia is an option. Buying a new filter isn't really going to fix your ammonia problem because you will only have the same amount of BB (until they multiply). It will have more flow so more water will pass through it to be cleaned. If you have ammonia something is up in your tank. Overfeeding, not enough cleaning, over cleaning, forgetting to add prime, etc

We have some ammo in our tap :/ so thats why. Another filter wouldnt help? Ours now is weird. The water doesnt spin the biowheel and comes OUT of the holding chamber area..

Gboy66 said:
We have some ammo in our tap :/ so thats why. Another filter wouldnt help? Ours now is weird. The water doesnt spin the biowheel and comes OUT of the holding chamber area..

Sounds like it's broken or clogged up to me. If you have enough BB they should be able to consume that tiny bit of ammonia.

Have you cross checked your ammonia test with some distilled water?

Mumma.of.two said:
Sounds like it's broken or clogged up to me. If you have enough BB they should be able to consume that tiny bit of ammonia.

Have you cross checked your ammonia test with some distilled water?

Well we have water from my fridge (has a filter on it but its not distilled or RO) and that water had alot less. Problem is it comes out cold, and really slow...i tried cleaning the filter media thinking that would help but it didnt. Think that the intake is clogged?

Gboy66 said:
Well we have water from my fridge (has a filter on it but its not distilled or RO) and that water had alot less. Problem is it comes out cold, and really slow...i tried cleaning the filter media thinking that would help but it didnt. Think that the intake is clogged?

Clean the filter housing, intake and out take. Check everything to see if something is obstructing the flow. If you cant get it to work it might be time to save up for a new one.

You don't want to use filtered water it may have been striped of minerals. Your BB should be able to consume the .25ppm (if in fact you do have it and not just false readings) easily.

Mumma.of.two said:
Clean the filter housing, intake and out take. Check everything to see if something is obstructing the flow. If you cant get it to work it might be time to save up for a new one.

You don't want to use filtered water it may have been striped of minerals. Your BB should be able to consume the .25ppm (if in fact you do have it and not just false readings) easily.

Ya, that filter is wack. Maybe an AC 50 for christmas would help? Ill clean again over break thats for sure.

Hey mumma, think im overfeeding, thats why there might be ammonia? I have all the fish above^
Monday- 1.5 wafers (all the fish eat, except eel)
Tuesday-bloodworms (for the eel and catfish)
Wednesday-flakes (for tetras, angels, hatchet...and guppy:()
Thursday- 1.5 wafers
Friday- bloodworms and flakes
Saturday-fasting day
Sunday- flakes, and waterchange.

Should i cut somthing out? Thanks:)

Well, as for the guppy, i think he is about gone...he is swimming right under the filter outflow and its current, goi g straight into the wall... Im annoyed. I want answers and things i should do to correct this...even if there are none.

Gboy66 said:
Ya, that filter is wack. Maybe an AC 50 for christmas would help? Ill clean again over break thats for sure.

Hey mumma, think im overfeeding, thats why there might be ammonia? I have all the fish above^
Monday- 1.5 wafers (all the fish eat, except eel)
Tuesday-bloodworms (for the eel and catfish)
Wednesday-flakes (for tetras, angels, hatchet...and guppy:()
Thursday- 1.5 wafers
Friday- bloodworms and flakes
Saturday-fasting day
Sunday- flakes, and waterchange.

Should i cut somthing out? Thanks:)

Well, as for the guppy, i think he is about gone...he is swimming right under the filter outflow and its current, goi g straight into the wall... Im annoyed. I want answers and things i should do to correct this...even if there are none.

If it's all being consumed then no. The only thing I can think of is that maybe not all the blood worms are not being eaten.

Keep an eye on the levels and PWC as needed. Also check your test kit to see if it's out of date, double check you doing the test correctly and test a bottle of distilled water and compare the results with your tank and tap.

Back
Top Bottom