Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My turn with ICH

As some of you know I bought a used 46 gallon tank recently with fish and transferred the fish from my daughters 10 gallon that was not done cycling and had high amonia and nitrite readings.
After watching a couple of my Cichlids rubbing themselfs on tank objects I took a closer look an I did see small white spots on a number of the fish.
A couple of thoughts on why they got ICH.
Stress from the move? It was from the fish from my daughters tank?
Time to start treatment.
The first thing I did was transfer the Neons, glass cats and an otto to the 10 gallon so I could use a different treatment method for them.
The 46 gallon I started a slow temp rise on Friday. It is up to 82 now but my 300 watt heater is maxed out so I will not be able to get to the recommended 86 But as I understand it any temp increase will help speed up the cycle of the ich infestation so other treatments can work faster.
I added aquarium salt but only to normal levels to reduce stress (I may consider raising the salt level if needed) I started treatment with an organic ich treatment that is suppose to be safe for plants and tank bacteria.
On the 10 gallon tank I left the temp at 78 since the heater is not adjustable. I did not add salt as I have read it is not good for the Neons and I started treatment with an ich med that claims to be safe for small weak fish and non scaleless fish.
Observations:
46 gallon, some of the fish have become less active and tend to lay around alot but do become active around feeding times and are eating well.
10 gallon, no change in activity but these were never very active fish to begin with. Neons are not showing as much color as normal, I hope they make it.
Wish me luck

Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow......i dont understand why your 300 watt heater cant heat a 46 gal tank. i have a 300watt on my 150gal and it does the trick. get a new heater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

well it seems like you are using 2 different treatment types and i cant see a fault in their excecution other than the heater issue. ive never personally used the meds that you are talking about so i cant comment on them.
follow the recommended dosages andobserve them. remember that there are 3 stages in the life of ich and the 3rd stage is the only stage that it can be treated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My heater is a Top Fin, Petsmart brand. I should have spent a little more for a better one.
I would guess that it is not the wattage but whatever the internal thermostat settings are in the heater. This model will not go above 82 degrees appearantly but inside its operating range it is more than enough for my size tank.
I am stopping at the pet store on the way home tonight. I need a hydrometer, maybe I will pick up a different heater?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heat and salt is fine, it always works the best for me. I try to stay away from the salt, not that it harms the fish it just doesnt do well in my planted tank. As far as meds go watch your amonia and nitrites claims of not killing your biofilter are not always accurate. And when all signs of ICH are gone keep treating because you have to kill of the second and third waves. Neons always die on me durring an ich outbreak just not the hardiest fish IMO. Good luck!

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update:
The fish in the 46 gallon seem to be more energetic and happy.
They all went to the top of the tank this morning wanting to be fed and much less laying around.
The 10 gallon is a different story. 6 neons have passed away. Some eggs were laid by one of them. I imagine the eggs are probably not viable and I should discard them.
I have to now second guess myself and wonder if they would have done any better if I had left them in the 46 gal tank with the others?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am totally bummed.
I got home and the last 2 neons are dead and I lost one of my red zebra cichlids.
Red was alive 1/2 hour ago and went to the top of the tank for food, I ate supper and when I was done he was laying on the bottom on his side not breathing.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats terrible! I feel for you. The first time I had ICH i used Fomalin and malachite green to cure my fish and all my Neons died as well. From that point on out I stuck with the heat method. I hope the rest of you stock makes it through!!

36 BowFront Reef
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you, I do too.
Only about 2 more days to go and the rest are looking pretty healthy, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you for your help and best wishes.
The treatment is over with no further losses and everyone is happy.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sweet!!

36 BowFront Reef

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com