mysterious death of goldhead comprecisseps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
last wednesday i got an OB peacock and a goldhead comprecisseps from my LFS, and they told me both of them were from lake malawi. both were juveniles about 1.25" long each. i put them in my 55 gallon with clown loaches and synodntis cats

both were doing fine, except i came home around midnight last night to find my comprecisseps dead on the corner with my clown loaches eating it.

i can only think of a few factors that could have caused this:

1) when i bought the fish the guy at the LFS accidently dropped the fish into the next tank over and all of the cichlids in that tank started attacking it immediately (about 4 or 5 fish pecking the hell out of it). but the guy got it out pretty quickly and it didn't really seemed to stressed after that. maybe it could have been stressed for a few days until it died?
2) i did a big 50% water change yesterday. could it have been too much?
3) i've been feeding regular omega one flake food instead of cichlid food (because i simply haven't bought any yet).

either way, i'm sure the exact cause of death can not be determined for sure, but i'm just wanting to get some second opinions on the subject. yes i know i shouldn't keep those 2 cichlids together anyway due to them being from different lakes, but i'm kind of skeptical as to that being the cause of death

Back
Top Bottom