Mysterious Fish Deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterc007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished cycling a 50 gal tank. I purchased 6 Neons 3 corys and 3 Oto's last Tuesday. I seem to be losing a fish every other day and I can't figure out if its something Ive got wrong or the fish were just bad when purchased. The first cory died right away and he looked a little ruff from the get go (ragged tail and his back half turned white. Then a Neon died the day after he looked fine one minute, Came back later and he was dead. Then the next cory looked fine in the morning came back that afternoon and his tail was all ragged he died a couple hours later. This morning I lost another neon evry thing looked fine when I went to bed.

I was just hoping for some opinions.

Param's

PH 7.5
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
Temp 78

50% planted

1 30% wc since I bought the fish last Tues.

One more thing the fish had just come in that day to the store

And if the problem was on my end would all the fish have died by now?

Any help is appreciated, This is my first tank in 15 years.

welcome to the forum

How did you acclimate the fish?

What process did you use to cycle this tank?

Sadly, all 3 species are somewhat sensitive. Neons due to overbreeding and otos and corys do better in established tanks 6 months or older.

LyndaB

I cycled the tank using ammonia from ACE Hardware I also used SEACHEM Stability for the first 7 days. I have an API test kit and the tests went just like they were supposed to as posted on this forum. ammonia and Nitrite have been pegged at 0 since March 6th.

I'd check the expiry date on API test kit - I've been unlucky to buy a expired one and now trying to be on the safe side...

does it also make sence that if there was a problem with the tank that all the fish would have died?

misterc007 said:
do you know where I can find the expiration date? I dont see one?

There's a batch number on the bottle that's saying "LOT xxxxxx" - last four numbers are production date; the tests are valid for three years, and the ammonia one for four years.

senemedar said:
There's a batch number on the bottle that's saying "LOT xxxxxx" - last four numbers are production date; the tests are valid for three years, and the ammonia one for four years.

that's good to know been having issues with the readings from my 12 year old test kit, guess I know why now thanx

do you know where I can find the expiration date? I dont see one?

Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years. nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.

LyndaB said:
Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years. nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.

Was it nitrite that lasts for 4 years? I thought it's ammonia... Sorry for misinforming :(

Sadly, all 3 species are somewhat sensitive. Neons due to overbreeding and otos and corys do better in established tanks 6 months or older.

i believe this may be the issue here. i'd try a small school of 5 or 6 zebra danios and a couple of gouramis. these are quite a hardy fish and should not have any problem in a new tank. you can add other fish later as the tank matures.

just giving some ideas based on my own exerience :)

Thanks everyone for the info. My test kit dates 1 year old so its fine and when i cycled the tank i tested everyday and i saw all the spikes and declines.

As for the fish I think I'm just going to wait it out before I add anymore I'll give it some time and see what happens. I'm really suspicious that fish may have been less then 100% when I bought them and that together with my newly cycled tank is probably the answer.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom