Mysterious fish deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since starting my 10g planted tank I have added fancy guppies and Amano shrimp. The shrimp are doing great and I'm picking out shrimp skin every couple days, gross.

The fancy guppies on the other hand aren't doing as well. They were fine the first couple of days, but then they started dying, 1 a day every two or three days. I thought it might be lack of oxygen because I didn't have an air stone on the tank and I don't have any sort of night lights on the tank either. So I added an air stone and thought things were getting better, but I came home last night to find another guppy in the pre death stages and spending most of its time on the bottom of the tank moving its tiny mouth rapidly. I clicked on the air stone and the little fellow seems to be doing better this morning, but am still confused as to what is going on.

The tanked has cycled and ammonia and nitrites are almost 0 and nitrates are around 5, the temp stays around 78 without a heater. The plants appear healthy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I wondering the same thing, if it was a bad batch. If they all die off, only two left, I'll be moving my neons over from my main tank and probably replace the neons with cardinals or some other school.

So one is still alive. Put 3 females in there today and one died already. Double checked my ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ph 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ish. The male started attacking the females so I moved him to a different tank and he is now in isolation after attacking the fish in the tank he moved to. I'm at a loss here and getting frustrated with this planted tank. Please help and provide suggestions. I want to learn more and not just drain and craigslist.

What are their symptoms? Appearance?
I could definately tell you corectely but i need more description and maybe a picture.

They showed o signs or symptoms leading up to their death. I'm thinking now it was a bad cobra guppy that was/is out to kill other fish. He doesn't bother the shrimp, but the other four guppies didn't make it and he is swimming around happy as can be with no issues. I put some lady friends in there with him and I watched him bullying them pretty quick after adding them to the tank. I moved him to a bigger tank with swordtails, danios and neons and he chased and nipped at the swordtails. The danios started nipping at him and he fought back and scared them away too. He's in isolation now. Not sure what to do with him now. I started a thread "fish rabies" about him. Here is a pic of the little monster now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398648234.376393.jpg

As far as the deceased, they had shredded tail fins and that was about it. The one female that died yesterday looked liked it had a bite mark possibly on her side after removing her from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom