Mysterious fish deaths no longer mysterious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mom got me a amonnia tester for valentines day <3! And it turns out.... its 8.0.. I did two 50% water changes, and two 15% water changes with treated water and it didnt go down at all. How do i get it to go down?

Wow, that's extemely high. What type of test kit did you get? I use a Aquarium Phamaceuticals kit and some of the low ammonia levels can be hard to determine but certainly not an 8. Another thing that makes me suspicious is that you've done four water changes without any changes. I'd be more apt to thing maybe there is a problem with the test kit.

Thats what i have.. You take the testube, fill it up with 5 ml then add 8 drops of one solution, then 8 more drops. shake, and wait for five minutes. its always come out this really deep dark green color/

Wow. 8O
Try testing the water before you add it to the tank, just to be sure that your tap is ok. Other than that, all I can suggest is to keep up with the water changes. It will eventually have to come down. :?

well ive been doing daily water changes (( 15%)) every day since you told me to.. Plus on the weekends ive been doing 50%...x.x my declorinater is almost out x.x;;;;

!!! If i put too much tank water would that cause it to be so high. I think my ml measuring cup is wrong... cause i just thought about it.. the cup says a 5 ml's is like.. in the test tube about... 3 inches... up... but a ml... isnt that big is it..

Ohhh, I thought you meant you had just done that many water changes. Shew. LOL Ok. How many water changes have you done since you got the test kit? You might have to up that percentage to help get the ammonia down. I realize the dechlorinator is almost gone but, this is just one hurdle to get over. There will be others before your tank settles down and you can relax. For the sake of your fish, the water changes are necessary. All that aside, is it possible there is something that died behind or under something that you just aren't seeing and this could be adding to your issues? Are all your fish accounted for? Just a thought.

As long as your filling the test tube to the white line, your not overdoing or underdoing the water amount. I have a syringe that I use to fill my tubes and it is right on the 5ml mark.

yep... its still 8. then... .. And I did do that many water changes...
I did two 50% water changes, and two 15% water changes with treated water and it didnt go down at all.
well ive been doing daily water changes (( 15%)) every day since you told me to.. Plus on the weekends ive been doing 50%...x.x my declorinater is almost out x.x;;;;

Rach101 said:
My mom got me a amonnia tester for valentines day <3! And it turns out.... its 8.0.. I did two 50% water changes, and two 15% water changes with treated water and it didnt go down at all. How do i get it to go down?
Well, it's possible you're not using enough dechlorinator. What kind of dechlorinator are you using? When and over what period of time did you do these water changes? If you did all those in one day, you shouldn't do that much at all. The fish have to get used to a lot of new water and it causes stress.

Ive had two fish die within one weeks time... But i removed them immediatly.. they were in there... about 6 hours tops... (( assuming they died as soon as i went to sleep ))

Rach, have you been testing for nitrates and nitrites also? If yes, what were the results?
As you know, nitrites are toxic and high nitrates are toxic also. I can't remember but how long has your tank been cycled?

Are you using any other chemicals like ammonia block? That can screw up your readings.

Nah.. And i dont have other testers... Im gonna get em soon though. i get 2 bucks for lunch... so five days= new tester.

Man, don't do without lunch. :? You can take your water to the lfs and have them test it. Most of them do it for free. I guess that will only work if they are close by though. I really don't know what else to suggest. Just be diligent with the water changes like you have been. Hopefully there will be a change soon.

How long has your tank been set up total Rach?
If you never cycled, that explains some of what you are experiencing. Especially with your big bioload.

it was set up after christmas. about.. 2 days.. Then about a week or two later i got three fish... waited about three weeks then got more and so on.

Well, your tanks been set up plenty long enough to be cycled so I don't understand it. I don't know what else to suggest. Did you test your tap water? Just in case?

Back
Top Bottom