Mysterious Sudden Geophagus Death- Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quackenbushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have no idea what caused this.

I had a good sized Geophagus Belem in my tank (25 gallon or so). He had been one of the most active fish in the tank, and I loved watching him eat pieces of gravel and spit them out.

A couple of days ago, he seemed like he may have been breathing hard, but after I changed the water that problem seemed to go away.

In addition to the hard breathing, I also noticed he didn't put up his dorsal spines.

I have NO idea why he suddenly croaked. I am so bummed.

Ph is good, alkaline is fine- water is well filtrated, live plants are doing good, no algae and all other fish are fine! (My large angel fish seems bummed his buddy is gone, too)

Is this species prone to this? Does anyone have any input?

Geophagus are sand sifters could have he sucked in a piece of gravel and got it stuck in his gills? I would never keep them in gravel although some will disagree with me. also 25 is really small for them unless you meant microgeophagus as the Belem I have never herd of.

Ok I think you mean Altifron? Belem seems to be a collection point. These guys are constant sand sifters and sift through their gills Not a good idea with gravel. Also they can reach 12" Unfortunately though I have no idea what could have happened Sorry for your loss.

5418640602_18c8019c06.jpg

this is an example of my geo.

He was only a few months old- roughly 3-4 inches in length.

I suppose it could have been a piece of gravel getting stuck... I really wish the store I had purchased him from had mentioned that- they knew I had a sand bottom. They had a huge number of geos in their tanks, all had gravel bottoms- some of theirs were huge, too.

I appreciate the sentiment. I hate seeing them get sick, sometimes- I panic about what to do.

As far as tank size- I'm pretty sure it's a 30 gallon, but as the apartment my fiance and I are in is full to capacity, a larger tank will have to wait for a house.

Can't wait for that.

Back
Top Bottom