Mystery disease, does this look familiar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ematt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone ID the disease that eventually killed this Gourami? In addition to skin condition, he (she?) was very lethargic. 29 gal tank, all water chemistry was good, tested by me and the LFS. Came on quickly and claimed 8 fish (3 Gourami and 5 Tiger Barbs) in 2 days. Want to ensure I don't restock without solving the problem. Thanks

Attachments

• fish_disease_925.jpg
    fish_disease_925.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
Definitley some sort of fungus. I've used Quick Cure (malachite green, formalin) to cure it quickly, usually overnight. Not always the case, but it has worked well for me.

Were the fish new?

Welcome to AA.

Thanks for the info. No the fish were not new, had the gourami's for almost 2 years, the biggest, 5 1/2 inches I "raised from a pup" Tiger Barbs were aquired over the last year. The only player left standing is a inch and half long algae eater, not sure what kind, but he is a hardy fella to survive the carnage.

Great, thanks for info. Question, does the fungus die off with the fish, or should I treat the water prior to putting more fish in?

Chances are there is no fungus left in the tank, fungus attacks the fish. Obviously I can't be 100% positive as I don't know the cause of the fungal infection but usually fungus occurs as a result of other problems. Sometimes water parameters being less than perfect can be the cause, sometimes bacteria or parasites can be the initial cause.

I would do a large water change before adding more fish.

I agree with Zagz. Did you add anything new to the tank at all? Do anything at all different? Fungus like that has to be triggered by something, an irritant in the tank, etc.

I had just vacuumed the gravel, did a 20% water change and added less than the recommended dose of "Algae Destroyer Advanced" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. to continue the treatment for the algae bloom. I did the same in my 10 gal tank with no adverse results.
Additionally when trying to treat this, PetsMart recommended some live plants to help with a very slightly elevated nitrate level. So I did that, and after the first 4 fish died, I did another 20% water change on the theory that at that point it couldn't hurt. Water test this past weekend showed all parameters well in the good range now.

My only guess is that there was something on the plant that you introduced, a fungus. You might want to tell them so they can disinfect all of their plants. That sucks.

I'd keep the tank void of (new) fish for 1-2 weeks and then I think you'd be safe to add some again.

Great, thanks for all the good advice/help. Although the fish already had the symptoms prior to introducing the plants, so I'm not sure that that was the cause. However, just to be sure...."they are gone!"

Update: it's now three weeks later or so, I did all that we described here, water change, tested, waited for a couple of weeks watching the one remaining fish, the Algae eater. Thought it was safe to go and get some more fish. I purchased 3 Tiger Barbs, and put them in the tank. Sure enough within a day they started to develop the same symptoms, lethargic, loosing their color, film all over the bodies. I treated with Quick Cure as suggested, and within three days everyone was fine and have been for a week. I guess if I had known I could have saved the first group too. Lesson learned! Thanks again for the assist!

Wow, that's crazy that it hit again like that weeks later. I think you probably need to try to get to the root of the problem or it'll keep occurring, IMO.

I had that happening in my 10gl tank. Everything that went in it got a coat of fungus and died in a day or two. I tried fungus clear etc and it didnt help. the only thing that lived in the tank was my apple snail. My friend finally dumped this one copper free treatment in my tank and I left it like that for a few weeks with no filter and just my snail to kill whatever was in there. I cycled my 55gl and put the snail in there and put a Betta in the 10gl after a good PWC who has been fine since.

I know the feeling being scared to add anything else wondering if it is gone!

Back
Top Bottom