Mystery epidemic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently am at such a loss. I introduced 10 Neons to my 50gal about 7 days ago. All was fine for one day then I noticed they has Ich. That day I ran out and medicated them. I also raised the temp to 31 deg slowly. Then over the next few days I lost 6 neons, one Cory, one guppy, one harlequin and one Glowlight. I'm at a loss as no one appears to have any symptoms and then when I wake up and look at the tank it claimed another few victims. Before I had the neons NOTHING died then after I got them BOOM! Sudden death with no symptoms at all. Tank cycled. Water Params fine everything 0 and nitrite is 10ppm.

Any ideas!? :(

I currently am at such a loss. I introduced 10 Neons to my 50gal about 7 days ago. All was fine for one day then I noticed they has Ich. That day I ran out and medicated them. I also raised the temp to 31 deg slowly. Then over the next few days I lost 6 neons, one Cory, one guppy, one harlequin and one Glowlight. I'm at a loss as no one appears to have any symptoms and then when I wake up and look at the tank it claimed another few victims. Before I had the neons NOTHING died then after I got them BOOM! Sudden death with no symptoms at all. Tank cycled. Water Params fine everything 0 and nitrite is 10ppm.

Any ideas!? :(

Maybe overdose of the med or the combo of med and heat is too much for them. I did meds then realized heat worked alone so I turned up the heat and one fish croaked. So I did a partial water. Change and did not add more med and at a week and a day out I haven't lost anymore and the ich has cleared up but I'm still keeping them with heat till day 10

I'm not sure. The medication was only sold in 1 litre bottles that were about R250 each. The owner was treating a tank for ich so he just gave me about 20ml of it and told me to dose once a day for three days. (7ml dose).

I'm now down to 1 Neon and everyone else looks very happy and healthy. It was just weird. I will be doing another big PWC today and will take out all plants and such to get all the muck up.

Sorry I took long to reply. It was weird because one minute they all had amazing colours and no weird behavior then I turn around and they were dead! And their bodies still had some colour if I found them quickly!

Poor things :(
Any ideas?

have a bubbler or other aeration? may not be lack of aeration but thought I'd check as when temp increases should hsve bubbler or more surface agitation. I'm not certain as to what temp it's needed at though

I'm not sure. The medication was only sold in 1 litre bottles that were about R250 each. The owner was treating a tank for ich so he just gave me about 20ml of it and told me to dose once a day for three days. (7ml dose).

I'm now down to 1 Neon and everyone else looks very happy and healthy. It was just weird. I will be doing another big PWC today and will take out all plants and such to get all the muck up.

Sorry I took long to reply. It was weird because one minute they all had amazing colours and no weird behavior then I turn around and they were dead! And their bodies still had some colour if I found them quickly!

Poor things :(
Any ideas?

Yeah, don't ever do something like that again. I will say its most likely the medication that did it since you have no idea what it was or exactly how much you put in that tank.

Well now for the past two days I have stopped the medication, put carbon back into the filter and reduced temp to 28 degrees c.

No casualties and everyone is healthy and normal. I'll be doing another big PWC today and then continue my regular schedule again (20% weekly)

Now I am left with one lone Neon, who, for the past few days, has been looking very stressed out and lethargic becuase he is all alone. I feel really sorry for him but I do not want to risk Neons again anytime soon.

My Glowlights are 4 years old and the neon is almost a third as big as them so they wont school.

Anyone in Durban, ZA want to rehome a poor Neon? :(

Well now for the past two days I have stopped the medication, put carbon back into the filter and reduced temp to 28 degrees c.

No casualties and everyone is healthy and normal. I'll be doing another big PWC today and then continue my regular schedule again (20% weekly)

Now I am left with one lone Neon, who, for the past few days, has been looking very stressed out and lethargic becuase he is all alone. I feel really sorry for him but I do not want to risk Neons again anytime soon.

My Glowlights are 4 years old and the neon is almost a third as big as them so they wont school.

Anyone in Durban, ZA want to rehome a poor Neon? :(

Where is ZA?

Wow AA is so diverse. Worldwide Aquarium Anonymous!

Haha!

I'm sure there are many other South Africans. We are really getting into the hobby!

We do have some good LFS's around here but they are long drives away. I see Americans are the most into fish keeping by far!

Haha!

I'm sure there are many other South Africans. We are really getting into the hobby!

We do have some good LFS's around here but they are long drives away. I see Americans are the most into fish keeping by far!

Yeah according to AA we are. Next from what I see is the UK then Australia. Your the first ive seen from South Africa. How I would love to travel there!

Yeah according to AA we are. Next from what I see is the UK then Australia. Your the first ive seen from South Africa. How I would love to travel there!

If I can travel to Vegas you can come here! (it's only a 29 hour flight, meh!)

Yeah we do have some of the best marine worlds in the world here like the two oceans aquarium in Cape Town and uShaka Marine World in Durban. Both are STUNNING for aquatic life and exploring. We have whales in Hermanus, snorkeling in Durban and Cape Town, Shark cage diving in Durban and Cape Town and so much more if you like that kind of stuff.

And since our currency is quite weak $1 = R9 +-, it is really cheap for you guys to come here.

:) it's great!

Back
Top Bottom