Mystery snail behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new to the scene

Aquarium Advice Regular
My mystery snails have not been moving from their certain spot for a couple days. They just sit there and hang halfway out of their shell but when touched/ moved they go back into their shell. That shows that they are alive. Anyone know what is wrong with them? My water levels are all safe and have been the same since i noticed the change in behavior and even before that.

new to the scene said:
My mystery snails have not been moving from their certain spot for a couple days. They just sit there and hang halfway out of their shell but when touched/ moved they go back into their shell. That shows that they are alive. Anyone know what is wrong with them? My water levels are all safe and have been the same since i noticed the change in behavior and even before that.

Did you recently add them? Did you acclimate them? It's good they're alive, they could just be scared and still getting used to their new environment.

Apple snails/ mystery snails do have a tendency to go dormant. If one day they are dormant for a long period of time you can smell them and if they smell like eggs then they have died otherwise they should be fine

I've had them for about a month and a half they move I found whitey on the glass going for air the problem is I just don't see as much movement anymore I acclimated them and everything a month and a half ago they went from being very active to almost dormant

I've had them for about a month and a half they move I found whitey on the glass going for air the problem is I just don't see as much movement anymore I acclimated them and everything a month and a half ago they went from being very active to almost dormant
Yeah, mystery snails do tend to stop moving for a while. How long have they been like this? Honestly, there isn't really much you can do if the water params are fine and the snails are acclimated. It is probably normal. My mystery snails sometimes don't move for a couple days, and then go back to their normal activity levels. Usually, they shrink up in their shells when they are unhealthy.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, mystery snails do tend to stop moving for a while. How long have they been like this? Honestly, there isn't really much you can do if the water params are fine and the snails are acclimated. It is probably normal. My mystery snails sometimes don't move for a couple days, and then go back to their normal activity levels. Usually, they shrink up in their shells when they are unhealthy.

I think your wright when I wake up I check if they have moved, and today they did end up in different places I guess I just have to leave them be

Apple snails are more active at night, so during the day they may tend to go dormant, mine tend to enjoy floating around and then kamikaze to the bottom. Also how many do you have? I have 3 and one day found a clutch of eggs. So far I've had 4 egg clutches and one has hatched so far. I have counted maybe 15-20 baby apple snails so far

Chronos313 said:
Apple snails are more active at night, so during the day they may tend to go dormant, mine tend to enjoy floating around and then kamikaze to the bottom. Also how many do you have? I have 3 and one day found a clutch of eggs. So far I've had 4 egg clutches and one has hatched so far. I have counted maybe 15-20 baby apple snails so far

I only have 2 in a 37 gal they do float around sometimes before releasing the trapped are I haven't had them mate yet but that would be cool though if they ended up making babies

Chronos313 said:

Mine only move at night. The second the light goes out they are off!

absolutangel04 said:
Wow, mine move at all random times of day. I hope you still get to see them moveing sometimes.

Yeah if I'm feeding my cories or bristlenoses they seem to know. They are very greedy and push them all out of the way. Lol

Yeah if I'm feeding my cories or bristlenoses they seem to know. They are very greedy and push them all out of the way. Lol
Lol, it cracks me up when my snails try to move the other fish out of the way and then sit on the food while eating it so it is totally covered by their foot. Then, the poor corys get all confused about where the food went.

Back
Top Bottom