Mystery snail blue around the edges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
New snail, wondering if it's sick or it's just the led lighting ...

Tank is 29 gallon with penguin 200 filter, fishless cycled for a month and added fish yesterday. Nitrites and ammo at 0, nitrates under 5, GH 5, KH 3, pH 7.5. Water conditioned 2 days ago with Stress coat. Coral and seachem equilibrium because my tap water is practically RO. Temp 78.

Harlequin rasboras and glowlight tetras in yesterday. Snail was today.

The snails at Petsmart were ALL hiding in their shells so I asked a lot of questions. He said they were treating the fish with something they always use but he showed me how the snails water pump was off because they're sensitive to the medicine. Didn't ask what medicine. He showed me how the snail I was looking at was actively and strongly pulling itself shut when picked up.

Snail started to hang on to a plant and I noticed all the edges of his foot and antenna were blue tinged. I wondered if the current was a bit much in that spot and so I moved him to a quiet spot and put a tiny piece of food right beside him. Several hours later no movement. I just checked and he's still pulled tightly inside.

Drip acclimated btw. All the fish are super happy so far.

I've had a few of these and never seen the blue tinge. It's just at the edges too.

Tank also has a power head aerating.

The plants I got had been in a weak formaldehyde solution but I rinsed them really really well 48 hours ago when I did the full water change and built the tank.

I feel like when my son was a newborn lol ... Every little thing is a sign of terrible illness ... My first big tank.

Now in a quarantine tank and not looking good ... Won't come out. Should have trusted my gut on this one and not bought when they seemed unhappy.

Yep. Didn't make it.

Good to know, Petsmart routinely runs medication of some sort through their system. He said "the snails don't tolerate it and sometimes someone forgets to turn their pump off". Next snails come from the LFS to be sure.

Yeah I'll have to ask next time. Today I got two from our highly regarded LFS. They're so healthy and happy, as soon as I emptied their bag and the danios' bag into a 1 gallon to drip acclimate, they're cruising all over. Ducking a bit as the danios buzz by, then meandering on. Can't wait to see how they do in a few minutes in the big tank.

Thats so sad! I work at PetSmart, and we are very fortunate to have a separate plant tank with it's own closed system...we keep the snails there to prevent any medication mishaps. I keep hearing rumors that they're going to take away the plant tank and start sending us those plants-in-a-tube :( I hope not....we also keep a fully grown comet goldfish in a larger, separated part of the tank, so people can see how big they get and how much room they need :D

Are the plants in a tube any good? I've seen the little packets but have just gone for the ones growing in the tank like I normally do (that way I see if any problems too).

I can't really say yet.... I just picked up two 'tube' plants a few weeks ago, and they seem to be doing fine so far. You have to get them fresh though....I found out when they got their shipment and came in that day, since the old ones looked....rough. And yeah, you can hardly see them though all that packaging! Also, keep your receipt, because I bought a tube that said 2-4 plants...and got one -___-

Also- research your plant! It's much easier to pass off a terrestrial plant as an aquatic in a tube, when they're packaged dry anyways....a solid HALF of those tube plants aren't aquatic. In our tank, we have mondo grass, and some of the pre-potted ones turn up bogus, but we usually know and warn people away....forces the employees to be more knowledgable, when they actually have to care for them :D

Even with the threat of snails, I prefer the tanks. I just pick them over really well and I've never had problems.

Back
Top Bottom