Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need Advice on Making a Very Hard Decision

Okay my fishy friends, I need to broach a VERY important and sad subject with you. Euthanasia.

I think I have a Boesmani Rainbow that is dying. I have been nursing this fish back to health. All seemed well and today she went back into the 20 gal community tank. Now, she is having these jerky to side spasms and a few have almost turned her upside down.

I love my fish, I don't want any of them to die and I would spend my last dollar to do everything I could for them, but......I don't want any of them to suffer either.

What should I do? Should I wait and hope for the best or does it sound like she is doomed? I want to be humane. My lfs said they're not even sure what to tell me. Help!

If I have to euthanise how do I go about it? I am in a real situation here guys and gals, all advice is appreciated.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi Cherry Barb,
I'm so sorry I hope your fish does get better. Here's a website that I bookmarked -- there's lots of good stuff in this site! I read that putting them in the freezer is not humane and it does make them suffer.

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-longterm.html#death

I wonder why she was ok, and then spasmed when you put her back in the main tank? Maybe she just needs to get used to the main tank again? Is the spasming slowing down or not?

I wish I could be of more help...I never had a big community tank. Good luck...

Old 09-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your Rainbow - I saw her picture you posted! She is beautiful!

Where did you have her when you took her out of your community tank? What is the PH in the 20 gal community tank? What was the PH in the "hospital" tank you had her in? Is she new to your collection? - How long have you had her? - I have read about "new fish PH syndrome" when all the fish in your tank have aclimated to the PH in the tank and when you add the newbie they can't adjust. I have a
Blue Acara doing the Hippy Hippy Shakes, too! My PH is out of control (long story)so I am trying to buffer it back down.

Here's a link to a Boeseman's Rainbow Stat page.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/mel-boes.htm

Lots of luck - I would just be sure the problem she has won't spread to the others in the tank! So if she did better by herself - maybe that's the way to go so the others won't pick on her and she can recover or pass in peace.

Love from Texas,

"Fish all bathe together. Although they do tend to eat one another. I often think...fish must get awfully tired of seafood." Arthur, 1981
MelindaReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys, I'm gonna check out those suggested sites. Here is more info on what has happened and how we got to the situation my Rainbow and I are in now...

btw....Water parameters and PH are the same in both tanks

I started with a 20 gal community which included 2-Boesmani Rainbows. After the second week all of my Harlequin Rasboras were dying. Within 6 days all 5 Rasboras died. It took until the last two for me to realize it was at least one of the Rainbows. So, I moved them to their own 10 gal tank when they ran out of Rasboras and went on to my Spotted Corys.

A week after moving them this one, Sunny I named her, started hiding and developed tail rot and a fungus. Well, it turns out the other Rainbow was a bully and did everything he could to knock her off. So, stress and because of the new tank apparently she was also ammonia burned. (That killed me when I realized that, ugh!)

Anyway, I treated the tank with Melafix (which worked wonders for helping Sunny get better and start growing her tail back) and I sold the other Rainbow back to the LFS. Well, anyway, Rainbows are community fish and after the other guy left she was out and eating and happy and healthy, etc. So, I decided to put her back with her original tank mates because she seems very peaceful.

So, today I moved her and now this! And to top it all off , when I moved her I cleaned out the other tank completely (you know to remove all possible source of anything) and set it up so I can put other fish in there. Its still empty, but I hate to move her and stress her more.

Oh, I wish I could read fish minds!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have never done this, but it is said that the most humane way to do it is to actually sever the head in a very quick motion with a very sharp knife. This kills them instantly so they do not linger. I am assuming you know not to flush them.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, it appears the decision was made by God. Sunny passed away at approximately 9:40 this evening. I was hoping she would make it! Thanks for all the advice & sympathy guys.

TG - I totally agree, I would never flush.

I'll catch you guys later. I'm gonna snuggle with my 2 yr old and hope I feel better.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You will feel better- I recently went through this with a beloved spawning female angel two weeks ago, then I had to put my beloved 14-yr-old dog down due to thyroid cancer last week, so I feel your pain. Fortunately, I have 2 2-yr-olds to snuggle, and boy does that help!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Absolutely TG, I'm glad I have friends here to turn to. My hubby just looked at me funny and said, "I thought it was just a fish" I said, "Yes, but it was MY fish!"

Maybe I'll put that on my signature line. *sigh*
Old 09-15-2003, 12:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aww. I'm sorry Cherry I guess hubby isn't a fishaholic like we are. Those poor folk just don't quite get it.

*throws a hug over to TankGirl as well*

Also, for future reference (for anyone who may need it) Bettas R Us has a good article as well on euthanasia, and has the route I choose to take when the time comes (the clove oil/vodka; I have clove oil in the house already - works great on toothaches- and heh, yeah, theres vodka as well which also seems to help with toothaches *grin*): http://www.bettasrus.com/disease/euthanasia.htm

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Allivymar. I did some reading and although I hope I never have to do it, I think the alcohol/clove oil is what I would choose.

Well, if anything good can come out this, all I can say is my Goldfish (I call him Oscar) will have a new home and get a friend for himself. I'll post new pics after they're all set.

Thanks to my fellow fishaholics....Swim on!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com