need advice on my rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looked at one of my rams today & noticed he's now got two split fins & they both have white lines on them I thought it was just due too the nipping but I haven't seen this before. Any ideas? Sorry for all the questions haven't had problems like this before.

shellyx said:
Looked at one of my rams today & noticed he's now got two split fins & they both have white lines on them I thought it was just due too the nipping but I haven't seen this before. Any ideas? Sorry for all the questions haven't had problems like this before.

Is there any aggression going on between the two of them maybe? What about their hiding places...could they have snagged their tail fin anywhere?

Botanica said:
Is there any aggression going on between the two of them maybe? What about their hiding places...could they have snagged their tail fin anywhere?

Yep the one with the split fins is the bully, plenty off hiding spaces I,ve got 2 caves, live plants & driftwood. Do you think that's why the other one getting bullied still has ich? Came down this morning & my temp was up too 90! Been wrapping my tank up to keep the heat in, but still my little guy has the same spots. I'm stumped! Thank you for the help :)

shellyx said:
Yep the one with the split fins is the bully, plenty off hiding spaces I,ve got 2 caves, live plants & driftwood. Do you think that's why the other one getting bullied still has ich? Came down this morning & my temp was up too 90! Been wrapping my tank up to keep the heat in, but still my little guy has the same spots. I'm stumped! Thank you for the help :)

Huh...well...if I am understanding ich correctly...the little white spots we see are like little egg casings (for lack of the correct terminology) that hold more microscopic little ich. After x amount of days they release and the ich are free swimming looking for a new host fish to latch onto and start the cycle over. I would think that if the same spot hasn't changed at all (ie fallen off and new ones appear) that it isn't an ich spot. The one being bullied is going to be stressed out and therefore be more susceptible to ich as well as other parasites. Are they male and female...I can't remember. They may need to be separated in the end if the aggression continues...:-(

Botanica said:
Huh...well...if I am understanding ich correctly...the little white spots we see are like little egg casings (for lack of the correct terminology) that hold more microscopic little ich. After x amount of days they release and the ich are free swimming looking for a new host fish to latch onto and start the cycle over. I would think that if the same spot hasn't changed at all (ie fallen off and new ones appear) that it isn't an ich spot. The one being bullied is going to be stressed out and therefore be more susceptible to ich as well as other parasites. Are they male and female...I can't remember. They may need to be separated in the end if the aggression continues...:-(

My lfs has taken them back to treat since I can't put meds in my tank with my elephant nose. But thank you very much you,ve been a big help. Going too keep the heat up for a few days for my other fish :)

Back
Top Bottom