need advice on my rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi bought two rams a couple of days ago they both had badly nipped fins so I,ve been doing daily pwc too help them heal. I noticed yesterday spots on their fins so I thought ich but there's no other symptoms, clamped fins or rubbing on deco. Could it be ich or something else? When my fish had it they were flicking but I don't see any of this. The spots on the fins are flat, one on the body stick,s out. Sorry about all the question,s just want to deal with this correctly. Thanks

Does anyone have any ideas on these guys? They,re eating,no flicking or gasping, no other fish have spots or showing any signs of distress, one morning the spots are gone then the next it's back? Really confused! I,ve upped my temp to nearly 30 (86) fish seem fine. Anybody got any ideas please

Here's the best pic I could get, it's on the right side of his dorsal, looks like its shining if that's any help

ForumRunner_20121105_163610.jpg

I can't see the spot on your pic...does it look like you sprinkled him with salt? That really is the clearest way to describe it. They won't always scratch...but cranking up the temp is the way to go for sure. Rams can take the heat...just raise it slowly. I would go to 86-87. What do you have in with the rams?

Botanica said:
I can't see the spot on your pic...does it look like you sprinkled him with salt? That really is the clearest way to describe it. They won't always scratch...but cranking up the temp is the way to go for sure. Rams can take the heat...just raise it slowly. I would go to 86-87. What do you have in with the rams?

He just has the two spots the ones on his fins have gone. It's the size off salt, looks like I could wipe it off. Their in with my elephant nose, pearl gourami, bnp, cories & bulldog plec & my snails & shrimp. Having probs keeping the heat up at night, found my other heater do you think that would help? Cheers

shellyx said:
He just has the two spots the ones on his fins have gone. It's the size off salt, looks like I could wipe it off. Their in with my elephant nose, pearl gourami, bnp, cories & bulldog plec & my snails & shrimp. Having probs keeping the heat up at night, found my other heater do you think that would help? Cheers

Yeah...I would get that heat up for sure...since adding salt prob won't work with snails and shrimp. I haven't kept shrimp before...so double check their heat tolerance. Heat will impair the ich (if that's what it is) from attaching to new fish and reproducing. It may get worse before it gets better...but if you could get it up to 87 it should kick it.
Adding another heater would help for sure.

Botanica said:
Yeah...I would get that heat up for sure...since adding salt prob won't work with snails and shrimp. I haven't kept shrimp before...so double check their heat tolerance. Heat will impair the ich (if that's what it is) from attaching to new fish and reproducing. It may get worse before it gets better...but if you could get it up to 87 it should kick it.
Adding another heater would help for sure.

Thanks for the help, I,ll add my other heater when I do my pwc today :)

shellyx said:
Thanks for the help, I,ll add my other heater when I do my pwc today :)

Oh...yes...as many water changer as you can manage...that will help speed the process along and keep the rams happy. ;-)

A couple off my other fish got ich but they,re clearing up, but my rams still have it? Do you think it's going to take longer for them? The spots were different on my other fish a lot smaller. Managed to get the heat up to 89 the fish are fine with this. Any advice would be appreciated.

They look like blue rams and as such are a little more delicate than Bolivians.

Usually with blue rams it tends to be a fungus from stress. I lost 2 blues that developed fin rot during QT.

What's your nitrate and pH like?

Blues tend to like more acidic water in the 6's and are really sensitive to trates.

I would keep up the heat for now and see how they progress.

If it doesn't get any better then possibly a fungus treatment may help.

Jon

jondamon said:
They look like blue rams and as such are a little more delicate than Bolivians.

Usually with blue rams it tends to be a fungus from stress. I lost 2 blues that developed fin rot during QT.

What's your nitrate and pH like?

Blues tend to like more acidic water in the 6's and are really sensitive to trates.

I would keep up the heat for now and see how they progress.

If it doesn't get any better then possibly a fungus treatment may help.

Jon

Hi, my nitrate is 5 & my ph is 7. The spots just don't want to move lol but my other fish are looking better. Wondered if it was fungus but when I saw white spots I immediately thought ich then my other guys caught it. They were very stressed in the lfs lots of nipped fins which seem to be improving. Thanks jon

shellyx said:
Hi, my nitrate is 5 & my ph is 7. The spots just don't want to move lol but my other fish are looking better. Wondered if it was fungus but when I saw white spots I immediately thought ich then my other guys caught it. They were very stressed in the lfs lots of nipped fins which seem to be improving. Thanks jon

Just keep monitoring. Mine didn't recover even after a fungus treatment but they were very very young and obviously stressed from the LFS tanks.

Keep up with PWC to help.

Trates and pH should be fine for them.

Jon

As long as they keep eating...I would just keep watch. The higher temp won't hurt anyone and your water parameters sound perfect. Have you been able to get a better picture of the spots?

Here's another try lol they don't like their pic taken! On the dorsal near his body

ForumRunner_20121112_170158.jpg

Their white & flat, my others looked sprinkled with tiny, shiny spots if you know what I mean!

She looks pretty good...I think I can see the small spot you are talking about. I would watch...but not worry. If it hasn't grown or gotten deeper or worse in any way...I would just wait and watch. I am careful not to add meds unless there is no other choice...but that's just me. I have noticed that sometimes if the fish get a bit rough with each other like during spawning and such...they will sometimes "bruise" each other. These areas are often white instead of red or purple like on people...just a thought...you did say the lfs tank was crowded and they were a bit nipped. I had to pull out a gold barb from our big tank yesterday because he had been rammed by another and bruised on his side while they were competing for spawn.
How long since you've spotted the ich spots on the other fish?

Botanica said:
She looks pretty good...I think I can see the small spot you are talking about. I would watch...but not worry. If it hasn't grown or gotten deeper or worse in any way...I would just wait and watch. I am careful not to add meds unless there is no other choice...but that's just me. I have noticed that sometimes if the fish get a bit rough with each other like during spawning and such...they will sometimes "bruise" each other. These areas are often white instead of red or purple like on people...just a thought...you did say the lfs tank was crowded and they were a bit nipped. I had to pull out a gold barb from our big tank yesterday because he had been rammed by another and bruised on his side while they were competing for spawn.
How long since you've spotted the ich spots on the other fish?

The other fish developed ich last friday looked better yesterday, that's what I don't understand? Both rams go through nipping each other after feeding & then settle down so it could be bruising like you say.

shellyx said:
The other fish developed ich last friday looked better yesterday, that's what I don't understand? Both rams go through nipping each other after feeding & then settle down so it could be bruising like you say.

Make sure you leave the temp high for 5-7 days after the last spot is gone. The ich are still free swimming but cannot latch onto a fish with the higher temp. ;-)

Botanica said:
Make sure you leave the temp high for 5-7 days after the last spot is gone. The ich are still free swimming but cannot latch onto a fish with the higher temp. ;-)

Yep, hopefully their spots will go! I was planning on keeping the temp going for 10 days after the last spot. Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom