Need advice with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bankwalker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given a ten gallon via aqua tank. I replaced the filter, set up the bubbler and heater, filled it. A few days later i put water conditioner in the water. The next day i put in 3 small australian rainbowfish. After 2 days of the fish in there they started hanging out at the top. I replaced 20% of the water with fresh conditioned water. The next evening they are back panting and at the top. I changed 20% again and two (2) of them starte acting normally but one remains panting at the top of the tank.

What should i do? Is the one at the top gonna die?

Since your aquarium is not cycled it is most likely ammonia that is causing this. Can you get a test kit preferably a liquid test kit as the strips aren't very accurate? Testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is very important. You will need to continue to do the 20% water changes for a while until the tank can cycle.
You should read this article it will help you to understand what is going on in your tank: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

The rainbowfish will be alright for a month or two but they get too big and are too active for a 10 gal and need at least a 29 gal.

You should have cycled your tank first. Do you have a test kit? You can pick up a FW (Fresh Water) test kit for around $20. It sounds like you are having problems with the fishes waste. High ammonia. I would bring the fish back if you can and then cycle your tank. If you can't do that I would do 20% water changes once to three times a day to keep the toxic ammonia/nitrite low enough for them to survive.
THIS would be a good post to read.

Thanks 4 advice. I guess ammonia could be the problem. I find it hard to believe that those 3 tiny fish in 10 gallons of water with 2 20% water changes within 24 hours are producing enough waste to hinder their ability to breath. I didnt realize the science of it. When i do a new tank ill cycle first. For now i am going to get that test kit and change the water when i get a chance. Thanks!

Look at it this way... if you were in a huge house and you had to crap on the floor it wouldn't take three days before you had a hard time breathing... even if they did change out 20% of the air twice in 24 hours... as well as any uneaten food starts to rot within a couple of hours. Ammonia is measured in PPM (Parts Per Million) so it doesn't take much before it starts hurting the fish.

I think ill need to give them to my friend who has a 50 gallon tank when they get bigger.

Good idea Bank. Can you give them away now?

It would be much healthier for the fish.

As the tank is obviously cycling, you could complete the process w/o fish. When the cycle is complete, you can restock with fish that are more appropriate for a 10 gallon setup.

Fish are doing well with 20% change a day. If i move em they will need to be out of the tank for at least 2 hours bc of the long drive to my friends place who has a bigger tank.

Got the test kit yet?

Im hoping to get one tomorrow. The 20% water changes seem to have stopped the behavior of hanging at the top...for now. Fish seem to be doing fine and tomorrow will be 6 full days of them in the tank. I'm still going to get the kit so I can monitor the tank tho...

Thanks everyone for the good help!

Your cycle is probably starting to do what it's supposed to. Once you get your kit you may be able to slow down the water changes. Keep us posted, and a picture would be nice as well.

your cycle is probably starting to do what it's supposed to. Once you get your kit you may be able to slow down the water changes. Keep us posted, and a picture would be nice as well.

It's maybe 10 years old but still works well and doesn't leak. I didn't choose the rock colors but I think it looks cool.

photo-2.jpg
photo-1.jpg

Now that it's been mentioned I am concerned about the size of the tank. These fish are super active.

Q: IF you got the fish from your 2hr drive friend, WHY did they not instruct you on cycling a new tank?

If you didn't get them from friend and bought them at the LFS (Local Fish Store) BRING THEM BACK NOW. FORGET the money, SAVE the fish. They will die. Get ONE Goldfish instead - feed it ONCE every TWO DAYS and WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! - it takes a MONTH to properly establish (cycle) an AQUARIUM - NOT 6 DAYS!!

This hobby is called fishkeeping - NOT "SET IT AND FORGET IT" - STOP KILLING FISH.

MANY/MOST if not all of us have travelled the SAME ROAD you are on now. Make no mistake, there is NO shortcut to cycling your first tank.

Q: IF you got the fish from your 2hr drive friend, WHY did they not instruct you on cycling a new tank?

If you didn't get them from friend and bought them at the LFS (Local Fish Store) BRING THEM BACK NOW. FORGET the money, SAVE the fish. They will die. Get ONE Goldfish instead - feed it ONCE every TWO DAYS and WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! - it takes a MONTH to properly establish (cycle) an AQUARIUM - NOT 6 DAYS!!

This hobby is called fishkeeping - NOT "SET IT AND FORGET IT" - STOP KILLING FISH.

MANY/MOST if not all of us have travelled the SAME ROAD you are on now. Make no mistake, there is NO shortcut to cycling your first tank.

Someone please help me with whether I should listen to this JAB. I got the fish at petsmart, not from my friend

Hey, don't listen to him, he shouldn't have been that harsh anyway. And I got out of the same rut your in with fish and didn't lose ANY fish. Your fish are probably NOT gonna die, but keep a close eye on them. I got my fish from petsmart too and also didn't know about cycling. But If you keep doing the water changes and check your ammonia levels, which should be kept at under .25 ppm your fish aught to be fine, but their lifespan could be shortened a bit. If you do lose your fish within two weeks of purchase you can go back to the store and show them your receipt. They will give you your money back. Don't get more fish if yours do pass but even if all of them die keep feeding the tank as it helps with cycling. Hope this post helps!

Hey jab my fish are still alive... Im picking up a 35 gallon tank next week so they have more room. Looks like im not a fish killer afterall!

JAB, you have 9 posts, 1 of which you're being hasty towards someone just learning about fishKEEPING? Geez. :rolleyes:

Good for you Bankwalker for deciding to get a bigger fish tank! Your fish will thank you... and... you can always get more fish! Win-Win. (y) Don't forget to keep a close eye on your current tank's water parameters and such while your larger tank is cycling. Everyone learns from trial and error, trust me! There are many nice ppl on here willing to give you futher assistance should you need it.

Good luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom