Need an experienced opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't posted in quite awhile, not that I have forgotten about the group. My phone had to be wiped and we are going through life events right now.

I have 2 sight impaired fish that were moved to their own 55 planted tank over a month ago. Laughingly sight impaired fish don't eat your plants and are ecstatic about getting a good fair share of pellets, fruit and vegetables. So my Ryunkin and little Lionhead are doing great.

The ballasts in the light over the 120 were failing and my husband took down the light fixture tonight to replace 2 T-5 ballasts. With all of that new light on the situation my husband pointed out that my very large Telescope, Pappy's, eye looked odd. At first glance I thought fungus......but then on closer inspection it looks metallic. He certainly doesn't seem to act unhealthy. His vision seems to be as good as you can expect from a fish that only has peripheral vision.

I fought a bacterial swim bladder infection with his mate and almost lost her. I praised God when she finally recovered. I definitely do not want to lose my Pappy. I need input as to the change in his eye. What I first thought looked like a fungal infection on closer inspection didn't have the puffy look of a fungal infection. When I got really close there is almost a metallic look to the area so I don't know if it is a natural change or a condition.

I need to know if I should pull him out tomorrow and put him into quarantine and where to go from there?

Water is always 8.0 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and change water 2x week to keep nitrates negligible because of the large size of the 4 fish in the 120 gallon tank. No heater. Temperature is currently the temp of the house which is 75°.

The sight impaired fish are waiting for the ballast of the light that actually fits the tank to be replaced.

Pictures of concern attached. Also a picture of 2 very happy sight impaired fish in their new home.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413673745827.jpg
    1413673745827.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 1413673760999.jpg
    1413673760999.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 1413673783763.jpg
    1413673783763.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1413673800183.jpg
    1413673800183.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 79
It might be infection are the fish missing scales is it's eye cloudy

Definitely Cloundy Eye: Cause Unknown: Treatment?

I was able to get much clearer pictures of Pappy's eye with my Rebel Digital. I lured him to the side for feeding and got some clear pictures of the problem. It has always as protruded more than the other side but my female telescopes eyes are the same way. It seems like humans, that no two things are exactly alike.

With a close inspection it is definitely Cloudy Eye. My extreme concerns are that it is very swollen and there is a red line that is seen clearly in one of the pictures. He seems to be very healthy otherwise. There are no missing scales, visible parasites (nobody goes into a tank without a month quarantine and a Prazi treatment) and no other signs of possible infection. Buoyancy is fine. No unusual behavior that I have noted.

The red line concerns me because I am unsure if it is a blood vessel that is protruding because of the swelling or a sign that there is so much pressure in the eye it is starting to split? The swelling seems to be the most immediate concern. There is haze over some of the corneal area of the eye and I definitely want to halt that ASAP but that swelling needs to come down.

No other fish are ill at this time. This Summer, his mate did come down with a bacterial swim bladder infection. At first I thought it was merely an air issue as I feed spirulina pellets with their morning food. I always soak their food but she is especially fond of the pellets and since all of them will not sink, she hangs at the top to get them. When I put her in quarantine, I initially did a bath and withheld food but by the second day she was getting much worse and to the point of loosing her. I used Tetracycline as a broad spectrum antibiotic and she recovered. I kept her quarantine for another three weeks so she could regain her strength and get plenty of peas and then food.

I did not notice any health conditions in any other fish during this time. It is possible that it started then and has just gradually swollen to this point.

The red line made me wonder about possible eye injury also. There is one very large ornament in the tank and some driftwood. The only reason I have left the ornament in the tank is for a very shy Fringe Nose Plecaustomous and two Rubbernose. I doubt that they would ever bother Pappy as he is 10 times their size. The little Rubbernose are full grown at 4" from tip to tail and the Fringe Nose just slightly larger and afraid of everything.

At this point I feel I should pull him out tomorrow and put him in quarantine. A quick Prazi treatment is never a big deal, just to make sure that there are definitely no parasites present. My concern is whether a salt bath is going to be of any help if it is an infection. I avoid using antibiotics but will if necessary.

I haven't dealt with this specific problem before. He is quite a guy so I need to react quickly. Expertise needed here.

Water Parameters:

PH always 8.0, Ammonia and Nitrites always 0. Nitrates are currently 10. Temperature is 75.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 59
The best advice i can give you, im not an expert but have been in the hobby quite awhile is these two medicines, note how cheap they are, and the DO work!
Antibiotic Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
Anti-Fungal Kordon Methylene Blue 4 oz.

Your fish look big and healthy, feed them this 3x a day for 7-10 days and it will clear them out of any bad bacteria.
Im not being overly specific, just google eye cloud if you really want to get a product locally that is "LISTED" for that. But honestly these two used together for a week will take care of just about any bacterial/fungal type of problem, but the M. Blue will kill off nitrifying bacteria, its not that hard to get the tank going again tho, just seed it again or take the filter off that tank and run it in a bucket while treating.
These fish are pretty hard to kill once they get big.

Could Kick Myself

Yes, they are huge, beautiful, healthy fish. Even though Pappy is having problems with that eye, he is still acting very happy and healthy. I have Kordon Blue on hand but recently threw away MediGold pellets because they have a six month shelf life. My local LFS has all but stopped catering to freshwater enthusiasts. He has very little.

I have his quarantine tank ready and will be moving him today. I will see how long it would be to get a bag of MediGold if I order today. I don't believe he is in imminent danger but certainly don't want him to loose sight in that eye.

Thank you for your input,
Tank 120

Hell my Terramycin pellets must be almost a year old by now, oh well, im sure they still work, didn't kill my fish at least, im at the MEH stage of fishkeeping, just getting bored and not really caring much about it anymore. Nice to see someone who shares my approach to medicines for a change.

Medi-Gold doesn't list it's antibiotics. It contains three powerful ones and that's all I can see it states. It does a wonderful job though and is recommended by moderators and members. It is also the perfect small size for ornamental fish like my Fancy's. I never got a chance to order any but had Maracyn 2 on hand which is recommended for Popeye.

He was not happy about the move but he is large, energetic and not enjoying swimming in circles. He is in a 20 gallon quarantine tank which is much more economical to treat.

You can find Medi-Gold at the Goldfish Connection on-line. They also sell a highly nutritious recovery food which I am feeding Pappy.

Oh, the recovery food is called Jump Start.

Back
Top Bottom