Need help, African sick (dont think will make it past the hr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a some africans. They all seemed perfect yesterday. I have had the fish for at least 2 years now. I came home from class and one of the larger ones is pale on his belly. All the orange is gone. his fins look bad. Like the webbing between the spikes seems tore up on all the fins. He has some red behind his gills and cant stay up right.

I have done an emergency waterchange just incase something is bad in the water. Anyone know what might be happening?

I didnt have a chance to check water prams before I did the major water change. I change water once evey 2 weeks (29 gallon tank, usually change 4 gallons). I did a 50% change in water today.

He does not appear to be breather heavy or under any stress. he just looks physically bad and wont sit up right.

MBUNA, there are 4 others in the tank. They have been doing extremely well for the few years I have had them. Only one death, this would be the second.
-----------------------------UPDATE---------------------------------------------------
I have put him in his own bucket with fresh clean water (QT tank I guess you could call it).

If he survives through the night what it he best way to treat him to help him heal or recover. He really is not looking very well. How often do i need to change the water in the bucket?

Is the area discolored? Like a white or grey appearance?

My first guess is columnaris, considering the quickness off the infection and the fins that are completely gone.

If he makes it past the night, I would treat as soon as possible with an antibiotic such as Maracyn-Two. I would also treat your tank with it, as it has been known to kill entire tanks. I've seen it start as one spot on a fish and completely consume it in less than 3 hours. Granted, not all infections are like this.

Yes he has turned almost white on the under side of him. and his fins look like they went through a blender.

I did some research on ammonia poisoning and he only has a few of the symptoms. One main thing he didnt have was hard breathing. He seems to be breathing fine.

Update------

Well at 11:00pm he has passed away and went to fishy heaven :(

Im going to be doing some partial water changes for the next few days just in precaution of the other fish.

So sorry for your loss. I agree that Columnaris is vicious, I've been victim to it myself. Comes on fast and does huge damage. Once again sorry for your loss.

Devilishturtles said:
Sorry Civicman :(

At the first site of discoloration with the other fish I would treat with Maracyn-Two immediatley. Columnaris is vicious...

Thank you all for the support. I really hate seeing fish in pain, it just kills me.

I will keep that in mind devil. I will definatly treat the fish with meds. and hopefully save a life if this happens to come up again.

Sorry about your loss Civicman. Keep your test kit handy when you treat with antibiotics- IME it will affect your biofilter even though the package says otherwise. Be prepared for a mini-cycle, you may have to do pwc's every day for a few days until things are back to normal. Good luck with your treatment.

I have to agree with severum mama. I've used meds and had my parameters affected even though the packaging claims it won't hurt bacteria. I had a mini cycle and got it under control in about 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom