Need help again strange fire eel problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troy.m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the fire eel I've had about a year maybe two years and he's more active than ever hunting down food through the tank and he gets excited when he sees me from under his log BUT When I look at him with a small light last night he had small scrape like white spots all on his left side. I added a half dose of salt and went to bed in the morning there are 0 spots, none at all, also I can't get his stubborn *** to eat anything besides blood worms he will nibble a frozen block of krill but the run off looking for worms, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate 7.5 ph pretty hard water temperature is at 78, my hypothesis was he was scraping himself on his fake log he looooves to dig under But would a scrape heal in one night?

If it's only a scrape it should heal up just fine in a couple of days. However, since eels are covered in a protective slime and excrete the slime in certain areas that might be damaged, so it could simply be slime buildup as a result of something else. I suggest you keep a close look at it and hope it heals up soon.

Last edited:
Keep his water as clean as possible. Scrapes can heal pretty quickly in good conditions.

Caleb

That's what I'm saying though they're already all gone, is it possible that he can change color a bit a night and have pale spots? And any idea on the coaxing into eating some varied diet?

I know with my own fish they can change "shades" in different lighting but not exactly change colors altogether.

Caleb

Yeah I wonder if they're just really light scraped and his slime coat thickens in those areas to protect it

Yeah I wonder if they're just really light scraped and his slime coat thickens in those areas to protect it

You added salt. Salt medicinally increases slime coat by stressing them to build up resistance against infection.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom