need help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been a while since I posted here but I just got home from work, went to turn on my aquarium lights only to find that 4 or 5 of my fish have passed! Including my serpae tetra and blue ram that I had for months or maybe a year. The other fish that passes were regular tetras. Idk what could be the problem.

Place to start is water parameters:

Temp
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Amount/frequency of water changes

Any changes to the tank lately (new additions of plants, fish, inverts, or decor?)

fort384 said:
Place to start is water parameters:

Temp
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Amount/frequency of water changes

Any changes to the tank lately (new additions of plants, fish, inverts, or decor?)

I'll do that in a bit but everything has been perfect, test, water, everything. Only thing new added was a couple of neon tetras.

Parameters are fine. I think it may be some kind of disease

What is fine? How about age of tank, and frequency of water changes?

I do water changes every Friday. I've had my tank setup for about 3 yrs now. I just lost two more tetras.

What size tank and how much of a change? What are your water parameters?

I'd have to ask the same questions. Lets start with water parameters. What of any chemicals do you use?

If your going the disease route what ate you basing this on? Are they "showing" signs of something?

How were they acting prior to death? Were they eating, swimming normally?

EDIT:

With the right questions answered the members are sure to be able to help

It's a 36g bowfront. And I do like...a 20% water change I think. Close to half. And they were eating and swimming fine days ago. I don't use chemicals, just liquid ferts for plants. I think the deceased ones had red marks on their bodies. Oh and I'll post perimeter in a sec.. Im testing again. Here's what I got:

nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Ammonia I think either 0 or 0.25ppm

Red marks near the gills? When did you add the tetras? And can you give us a list of what has died, and what is left in the tank.

Are you running CO2?

Check temp, make sure the heater hasn't malfunctioned.

You do use a water conditioner I'm assuming right? Like fort said. Look into heater, also have you done any major cleaning recently? Like a huge gravel vac?

fort384 said:
Red marks near the gills? When did you add the tetras? And can you give us a list of what has died, and what is left in the tank.

Are you running CO2?

Check temp, make sure the heater hasn't malfunctioned.

Yeah, seems like that or just on the side of their bodies. I was running a diy co2 bottle but removed it. I have my temp around 76 and the heater is working fine.

fishdud said:
It's a 36g bowfront. And I do like...a 20% water change I think. Close to half. And they were eating and swimming fine days ago. I don't use chemicals, just liquid ferts for plants. I think the deceased ones had red marks on their bodies. Oh and I'll post perimeter in a sec.. Im testing again. Here's what I got:

nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Ammonia I think either 0 or 0.25ppm

Parameters don't look deadly to me. I'll let fort add his opinion. I usually have around .05 of NitrAtes in my tank

Convict2161 said:
You do use a water conditioner I'm assuming right? Like fort said. Look into heater, also have you done any major cleaning recently? Like a huge gravel vac?

Ha yes, if I haven't figured that out after having my tank for 3 yrs then Im dumb. I don't do a huge gravel vac since I have plants and don't use gravel. I use sand and flora max but stir it to get the junk out.

Oh yeah, I lost like 6 neon tetras, 2 glow light tetra, my blue ram,and serpae tetra which I had for a long time. Sucks.

When did you take the CO2 off the tank? What was the CO2 at before you took it off, and what was the pH at before you took it off?

What is your KH?

You said it is always around 76, is it 76 right now, did you check?

fort384 said:
When did you take the CO2 off the tank? What was the CO2 at before you took it off, and what was the pH at before you took it off?

What is your KH?

You said it is always around 76, is it 76 right now, did you check?

I took it off two days ago but when I had it going, my drop checker was reading it at a lime green color. I just checked the temp, still the same.

Back
Top Bottom