Need help - Battle of the parasite...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im leaning more towards this being some sort of crustacean/copepod based on the segmented body. im still not certain though. still researching

I have been searching too and can't find much at all except further pictures of fish with white dots..

I found this..

"White Spot Ick)
Symptoms:
Small white grains of saltlike spores all over body
White pimples concentrated mainly on the fins
Rubbing up against other objects
Slimy skin due to heavy mucus layer
Abnormal swimming behaviour
Breathing difficulties
Lethargy and loss of appetite
Fraying fins and/or cloudy eyes
img_3010184_0_d3e98aaeeed5e4c8f63cfb5a308360a7.gif

White spot or ick General Description
Ick is a disease that causes your fish to get small, grain-like spots on their body. Ick is also known as White Spot Disease or Ich. The fish may try to rub itself against the décor or the hard surfaces in the aquarium, giving an impression of scratching an itch. In freshwater, this disease is caused by protozoa named Ichthyophthirius Multifilis and is very contagious. The parasite spends a part of its life within the skin of the fish, where they form the white spots. These are the cysts. Once the cysts mature they fall down to the substrate and give rise to thousands of new free-swimming parasites that are free to prey upon other fish. An outbreak of Ick is very difficult to control if not noticed in the earlier stages. Since the parasite is released into the aquarium, the entire aquarium has to be treated"

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162217

There is this too which is "not probable to cure"...

"VELVET
Symptoms:
Fine grey-gold to whitish 'dust' on the body
Very rapid gill movement
Scratching or flashing
Clamping of the fins
Very similar it ICH
img_3010188_0_c015258cdffeb4bbd331bd1adf1ceb0d.gif

Velvet General Description
The disease is caused by a protozoan parasite (Gold or rust disease), and may be triggered by exposure to ammonia and nitrite, or excessive nitrate levels.

This parasite is a microscopic dinoflagellate (two little "whip like organs" or flagella used to propel the parasite through the water). It attaches to the skin (then loses the flagella) of fish in order to feed. Initially it appears as small white dots (similar to ich) but is much finer giving it a "velvet" appearance. They can live without a fish host for up to 24 hours in the water.

Velvet Treatments
Possible to cure by not probable. Fish most often die. There are effective commercially available remedies, including Waterlife Protozin (UK and elsewhere), and Maracide by Mardel Labs (US and elsewhere). Begin treatment as soon as possible.

As Velvet is highly contagious it is important to eradicate this problem as soon as possible. Treatment is aimed at the free swimming stage and there are good cures available from your local freshwater aquarium fish store. Copper sulphate can be used at a concentration of 0.2 mg per litre or 0.2 ppm. This should be repeated after 3 days to ensure eradication.

Velvet Prevention
Velvet is the most common disease among Bettas. It is caused by an algae that feeds on the slime coat of the betta, as well as other bodily fluids. It attacks the gills first, then spreads over the rest of the body. Because of this, early detection is a must."

Photographic guide to Fish disease, Parasites and common issues. - Reef Central Online Community

I don't think it is the "velvet" only because the PraziPro did have an effect on the parasite...

Kinda...Look at the side fin..White dots!!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_8.jpg
    imagejpeg_8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 40
  • imagejpeg_13.jpg
    imagejpeg_13.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
They are tiny white dots...Everywhere..Those white dots are what I put under the microscope as far as I can tell...

What bums me even more is that some of these are due to "ick", high ammonia levels, and high nitrites. I keep my tanks perfect, I test my water almost twice a week, I vacuum, I scrub, water changes per week, I balance the PH, I mean everything you could do. I keep it cleaner and better balanced than most of the stores I go to for fish. I also have two filters I run in my big tank cleaning both ends. There are never ammonia. I keep my tank so clean that the first week of running Prazi I pulled the active carbon and the nitrites, nitrates and ammonia did not budge for a week. So it is obviously clean if it can function without carbon for 7 days and not have an ammonia rise.

I remember the fish I got that brought it in. It had white dots, but I thought it was part of its look because It was black with dots naturally. Then after seeing the itch I decided to catch it and take a magnifying glass and thats when I realized the dots were parasites. I have never had a parasite before, so this has all been new to me, as well as frustrating...

There is a type of copepod called dinoflaggelate. It creates cysts on a fish similar to ICk. The larvae you posted looks very similar to this. It could be either one.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ich is also technically a crustacean. So try some ich cure. If that doesn't work we can try something else.

Also raise the temperature in your tanks. That can help

So she died this morning. After shedding a couple more parasites she went. So I pulled her as she died and tried to perform a c-section because I was certain she was pregnant. She was, and would have birthed 10 babies, but I think they may have either already been dead, or were underdeveloped because they are lifeless....

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I am working on ordering all of the products suggested just in case this happens again. My bigger tank seems to be ok, and I think the boom of parasites were with her. I had found two last night of the pictures I posted, and then found two more today. They must have been the egg layers.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I narrowed it down to either the Velvet or Ich. and the PraziPro has been working, I guess if the infestation is too much that the Prazi will treat a tank but may not save the infected fish. I guess the best plan of action with parasites like these is to nip it at the first signs...

So, I don't really mean to gross anyone out, but I would like to post my observations of the internal parasite the fish dealt with to go along with the external. The PraziPro seems to have either a super slow, or no effect on the internal parasite. I do not know if the two are related or not. The first vid I had just dropped in the Prazi and it was still mixing. In the second vid the Prazi is all of the white stuff through out the video.

It has been about 20 mins now and it has only slowed down, and the ratio of Prazi at this point is nearly 50/50 to the drop of water...

I'm sorry you lost her and the babies :( these things happen when keeping aquariums unfortunately. But everything is a learning experience. If anyone else has the same problem hopefully this thread will help.

sorry for the loss :(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those are some pretty close up microscope pics and vids I'm surprised someone can't tell you exactly what they are...

Would a UV filter kill these if it sucked free floating ones up?

Back
Top Bottom