Need HELP Fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a regular male betta in a planted 3 gallon aquarium. He was fine this morning when I left for school and when I came home I noticed his colour looked really off. He is usually red and he is brown and has white fuzz on him now. He appears to be swimming fine but staying more towards the bottom. He is 4 years old so maybe he is dying of old age but usually if that's the case they just die right away. I turned off his light to reduce stress but I don't know anything else I can do for him because I don't know what's wrong. I have some general cure medicine from my tropical fish but I don't plan to use it unless I know what's going on. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391205542.503241.jpg I'm sorry if this photo really sucks but I had to quickly shine a flash light on him because the aquarium light is off and I did not want to stress him out.

Do you know your water parameters? Is the tank heated and filtered? The more information you can provide, the more we'll be able to help you.

Fungus would be my thought. See what others think.

Have you changed anything in the tank recently in the last day or a water change?

Definitely not ich, or fish lice.... It's fungus for sure, but he maybe dying from age. For years for a beta is a long time IME

Definitely not ich, or fish lice.... It's fungus for sure, but he maybe dying from age. Four years for a beta is a long time IME

Fungus would be my thought. See what others think.

Have you changed anything in the tank recently in the last day or a water change?

I recently got some bamboo and 2 Oto catfish for the tank. I did my last water change about a half a week ago, he was fine the day after it's weird.

Do you know your water parameters? Is the tank heated and filtered? The more information you can provide, the more we'll be able to help you.

The tank has a small cascade internal filter but is not heated. The tank always stays at 74 degrees F. I just looked this morning and the betta has died, now I have to worry about the two Oto catfish. I just tested nitrate and it's at 5.0 ppm. Next I will test for PH.

I recently got some bamboo and 2 Oto catfish for the tank. I did my last water change about a half a week ago, he was fine the day after it's weird.

No worries, I've had platies get fungal infections after a water change in the next day or so and had wondered if that might have been this case as well.

Edit:
Sad news on the beta as well.

No worries, I've had platies get fungal infections after a water change in the next day or so and had wondered if that might have been this case as well.

Edit:
Sad news on the beta as well.

I'm making the tank into an African dwarf frog tank because I know from experience they live a lot longer than Betta's and they are more fun to watch. How do the fish get fungal infections after water changes, you would think they would be healthier.

As quickly as it moved I would say it's more likely a bacterial infection than a fungal. fungus takes time where bacteria can kill in a day if it's particularly nasty.

I'm making the tank into an African dwarf frog tank because I know from experience they live a lot longer than Betta's and they are more fun to watch. How do the fish get fungal infections after water changes, you would think they would be healthier.

I found it was probably the temperature difference between tap and tank as it was over winter. Now I'm a bit more onto temperature matching. I really suspect as well that this was a weak strain of platies, they were all a nice colour but seemed quite sensitive. Their off-spring were bred with a different colour and not as nice but seem much tougher.

The rosy barbs on the other hand thought a water change was great news.

As quickly as it moved I would say it's more likely a bacterial infection than a fungal. fungus takes time where bacteria can kill in a day if it's particularly nasty.

So fungus always secondary do you think?

Edit: should add what you say makes sense, keen for any extra info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom