Need Help -- Fish dying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inklover82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently, I have lost about 20 of my fish, and we can't figure out why.

We bought some new fish from Petsmart and the next morning when we got up, a bunch of our fish were dead. :(

Two days before that, we had changed the water, and our filters, like we do every month and our levers were great, and then all of a sudden our fish started dying.

Once that had happened, I took most of my fish out, did a partial water change. Let it filter for 6 or so hours, then did another one. My levels again were normal, and I got up this morning and found another 2 dead fish.

Does anyone have any clue to what I could/should do that could help? I don't want to lose anymore fish!! As it is I can't replace my fire eel that I lost and I'm quite sad about that. :bawl:

Recently, I have lost about 20 of my fish, and we can't figure out why.

We bought some new fish from Petsmart and the next morning when we got up, a bunch of our fish were dead. :(

Two days before that, we had changed the water, and our filters, like we do every month and our levers were great, and then all of a sudden our fish started dying.

Once that had happened, I took most of my fish out, did a partial water change. Let it filter for 6 or so hours, then did another one. My levels again were normal, and I got up this morning and found another 2 dead fish.

Does anyone have any clue to what I could/should do that could help? I don't want to lose anymore fish!! As it is I can't replace my fire eel that I lost and I'm quite sad about that. :bawl:

What size tank do you have, what kind of fish do you have, what kind of fish did you add? You mention "my level are again normal" were they ever not normal?

The first thing I'm thinking is either the fish were not compatible with each other (one attacked another?) or the fish got stressed with the new fish added (maybe due to over crowding? depends on the size of the fish and tank). It sounds like this was too fast for a disease to have caused a problem, but that's not entirely impossible either. It is strongly suggested that new fish be quarantined in a "hospital" tank for a time before being introduced to the main tank for this reason. Also, any new live plants being added should be rinsed with a diluted bleach solution (then rinsed!) before adding them to the tank. Live plants was how I got camallanus worms in my tank, and I'm still battling that situation.

Back
Top Bottom