Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 124
Need help on this issue please

Someone please try and tell me what this is. I will describe it a best as possible and I tried to take some pics the best I can.
Symptoms are: a open mouth that will not close very puffy. Also I now have seen to me it looks like white string or even a whisker on the side or coming out of the mouth. These fish don't have whiskers. It effects 1 fish at a time an they die shortly after. I'm at a total head confusion as to what is going on. Someone anyone know what this might possibly be????

It's a 2 year tank. I never had issues like this till I brought a fish home and about a week later noticed that the fish I brought home had this and died. Now it's going thru the rest of my tank. It's a 75 gal tank I do 25 gal weekly water change. Heavily planted tank.
Sorry for the long story. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474736556.595135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	289510Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474736576.985799.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	289511


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
orangepunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,933
Doesn't ring any bells although leaning more to bacterial, not parasites. What have you treated with so far? Would try furan 2 and metro in combination.
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,898
I will guess hookworms or gill flukes/worms....
Good luck.
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,933
Copied in older thread in case of use.

Please help me with this issue
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Copied in older thread in case of use.

Please help me with this issue
Thanks!
That's a Denison barb which DOES have a single whisker on each side of mouth....So the thread is not a real concern IMO???
Is only the roselines effected by the curved back?
If not then , you may want to read up on "fish TB"....
If this is the chosen diagnosis then a tank tare down and sterilization along with euthanizing all fish is on the short list...
The hard lesson on Qt. tanks I believe is being learned...
Other options would be columnaris strain 1 or 2 depending on how long fish effected live after they show signs...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/column...d...-1689.html
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Matt68005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepunkins View Post
Someone please try and tell me what this is. I will describe it a best as possible and I tried to take some pics the best I can.
Symptoms are: a open mouth that will not close very puffy. Also I now have seen to me it looks like white string or even a whisker on the side or coming out of the mouth. These fish don't have whiskers. It effects 1 fish at a time an they die shortly after. I'm at a total head confusion as to what is going on. Someone anyone know what this might possibly be????ly water change.
Sorry for the long story.
Is the only symptom a thread or "whisker" hanging out their mouth, and the mouth having a physical "stuck open"?
That pretty much says gill flukes or some sort of worm.
Both can be cured with praziquentel
Im not sure where coral thinks its TB or columnaris, maybe i have not read all the posts, but to make it easy for me to help lots of people i tend to read the OP only.....anywho, are there other symptoms maybe you havent noticed, body fungus or lesions, white stringy poo, bent spine, tail clamping, spitting out food?
__________________
Matt68005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,933
Need help on this issue please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005 View Post
Is the only symptom a thread or "whisker" hanging out their mouth, and the mouth having a physical "stuck open"?

That pretty much says gill flukes or some sort of worm.

Both can be cured with praziquentel

Im not sure where coral thinks its TB or columnaris, maybe i have not read all the posts, but to make it easy for me to help lots of people i tend to read the OP only.....anywho, are there other symptoms maybe you havent noticed, body fungus or lesions, white stringy poo, bent spine, tail clamping, spitting out food?

See post 4.
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Issue/ fish issue pockets Cichlid Discussion 48 08-30-2011 08:48 AM
Need help with algae issue, please :) catmel Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 10-18-2009 05:58 PM
pH issue - need some help please 02tts Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 24 08-25-2008 02:08 PM
Please help with starving issue-my Mandarin Goby anymanusa Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 11 11-15-2006 09:20 PM
Issue with CO2 canister- help please lyquidphyre Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 11 07-12-2005 02:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×