Need help on this issue please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Someone please try and tell me what this is. I will describe it a best as possible and I tried to take some pics the best I can.
Symptoms are: a open mouth that will not close very puffy. Also I now have seen to me it looks like white string or even a whisker on the side or coming out of the mouth. These fish don't have whiskers. It effects 1 fish at a time an they die shortly after. I'm at a total head confusion as to what is going on. Someone anyone know what this might possibly be????

It's a 2 year tank. I never had issues like this till I brought a fish home and about a week later noticed that the fish I brought home had this and died. Now it's going thru the rest of my tank. It's a 75 gal tank I do 25 gal weekly water change. Heavily planted tank.
Sorry for the long story. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474736556.595135.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474736576.985799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Doesn't ring any bells although leaning more to bacterial, not parasites. What have you treated with so far? Would try furan 2 and metro in combination.

Thanks!
That's a Denison barb which DOES have a single whisker on each side of mouth....So the thread is not a real concern IMO???
Is only the roselines effected by the curved back?
If not then , you may want to read up on "fish TB"....
If this is the chosen diagnosis then a tank tare down and sterilization along with euthanizing all fish is on the short list...:nono:
The hard lesson on Qt. tanks I believe is being learned...
Other options would be columnaris strain 1 or 2 depending on how long fish effected live after they show signs...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Someone please try and tell me what this is. I will describe it a best as possible and I tried to take some pics the best I can.
Symptoms are: a open mouth that will not close very puffy. Also I now have seen to me it looks like white string or even a whisker on the side or coming out of the mouth. These fish don't have whiskers. It effects 1 fish at a time an they die shortly after. I'm at a total head confusion as to what is going on. Someone anyone know what this might possibly be????ly water change.
Sorry for the long story.
Is the only symptom a thread or "whisker" hanging out their mouth, and the mouth having a physical "stuck open"?
That pretty much says gill flukes or some sort of worm.
Both can be cured with praziquentel
Im not sure where coral thinks its TB or columnaris, maybe i have not read all the posts, but to make it easy for me to help lots of people i tend to read the OP only.....anywho, are there other symptoms maybe you havent noticed, body fungus or lesions, white stringy poo, bent spine, tail clamping, spitting out food?

Is the only symptom a thread or "whisker" hanging out their mouth, and the mouth having a physical "stuck open"?

That pretty much says gill flukes or some sort of worm.

Both can be cured with praziquentel

Im not sure where coral thinks its TB or columnaris, maybe i have not read all the posts, but to make it easy for me to help lots of people i tend to read the OP only.....anywho, are there other symptoms maybe you havent noticed, body fungus or lesions, white stringy poo, bent spine, tail clamping, spitting out food?

See post 4. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom