Need help peacock Cichlid disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebaybrad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Really need help - sick peacocks

I have been battling an unknown disease that is very persistent. I have no idea what it is. I think and thought it was fungus. I have been treatingwith melafix and primafix for almost 2 weeks. Just added malachite green 2 days ago. Looks too big to be ich. These fish are like 5 inches plus for reference. Any help would be appreciated as I amslowly losing all my fish. I just did a massive water change and am looking for what to do now. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 59
Firstly, ditch the melafix and pimafix. They are garbage. They are useful as a preventative, but not much else and their claims to be a treatment for true fish illness is a joke at best.

What is the fish behavior like?
What are the parameters?
Were there any recent new additions?

My first thought is to say ich tbh. It doesn't appear to be a fungus because that typically presents as large cotton like patches on the fish. I would suggest carrying this post on over to the sick fish discussion because the cichlid sub forum doesn't have a ton of traffic.

I saw your post in the cichlid forum. While I heartily disagree with Mebbid on Pimafix and Melafix (I always prefer "natural" remedies over chemical), I do agree that it doesn't look like a typical fungus. If they were koi, I'd say it looks like Lymphocystis. How are the fish behaviors? Are they scraping against decor? Are gill and mouth movements normal, or rapid? Are fins clamped? Does fish act lethargic? I guess, without knowing much about the fish, my first thought is to tell you to get Fish Pen, which is Penicillin for fish. Well, it's just plain old Penicillin, but made to dissolve in water. But, if you could supply more info, many people in the forums know far more than I about aquatic ailments.

Agree that it looks more like ich. My experience with fungal infections is that the patches are more diffuse, cottony, almost fluffy. These lesions seem definitely more distinct. Also +1 to posting in the sick fish section.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Check out pictures of columnaris and see if it matches. Mine had white lesions and I treated it as columnaris and it worked perfectly. You would need furan-2 and something beginning with a k. I can't think of it right now. Good luck! That stuff is tough to get rid of.

Thread shifted to unhealthy fish section and posts merged.

For the OP, there is a Q & A sticky in the unhealthy fish section. Completing this will help for answers to your thread.

Check out pictures of columnaris and see if it matches. Mine had white lesions and I treated it as columnaris and it worked perfectly. You would need furan-2 and something beginning with a k. I can't think of it right now. Good luck! That stuff is tough to get rid of.

Furan2 and the K word is Kanamyicn, a powerful quick acting antbiotic.
Fungus should not grow on fish like this for no reason, there has to be underlying cause.

Try furan2 + Kanamycin
http://angelsplus.com/FlakeMedAntibiotic.htm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jungle-Fungus-Clear-Tank-Buddies-39-G-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10313047

Back
Top Bottom