Need help please fantails and black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siarar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Kind of a long story but i'll try and be frank,
So to start off, I purchased two black moors and brought them home to put into my tank with the fancy tails and goldfish, two days later one of the black moors died, suspecting the black moor had an illness I dosed my tank for three days as recommended with MELAFIX (main ingredient melaleuca) on the third day I came home to find my plain goldfish dead and my other fish hovering on the bottom of the tank, I immediately put them into fresh water fearing that this medicine was toxic, the next morning I noticed the fancy tails were attacking the black moors' tail area, I seperated the black moor from them. After that I did a complete water change to the tank and put all of the fish back in. The fancies were still attacking the black moor so I made a tank seperator out of plexy glass.... So I suppose I have a couple questions. 1: Could that medicine have been toxic or do you think the black moors' brought in a disease? 2: Would you happen to know why the fancies are suddenly attacking the black moor?

Hi & welcome to AA!

We need a lot more info ...
Tank size, water parameter, size of fish .... etc.

QT of new goldfish is mandatory if you want to avoid tank disasters. Typical "commercial" goldfish are full of diseases, and it is easy to transfer diseases into your tank & cause deaths. A minimum of 2 weeks of quarantine is needed. Some go as much as 4-8 weeks.

When you have a sick fish, it si also not a good idea to treat with any old meds blindly. You need to find out what is wrong & treat appropriately. You are more likely to do harm than good otherwise. In your case, it is possible that the moors has a disease. But it is also possible that this is a case of the biofilter not able to keep up with the addition of new fish (easy to do with big fish & small tanks) and you have toxic water conditions. I would think that this is more likely than any toxic effect of Melafix.

I am not sure why your fancies are attacking the moor. It is possibly a territorial issue ... but also can be mating behavior. If your fancies are male & the moor is a female, the males will chase the females & butt their noses right at the tail of the females ... maybe this is what you are seeing?

'After that I did a complete water change to the tank and put all of the fish back in.'

That probably wasn't the best idea, you have to allow for your fish tank to 'cycle', look up cycling on here and you will learn loads! :)

'After that I did a complete water change to the tank and put all of the fish back in.'

That probably wasn't the best idea, you have to allow for your fish tank to 'cycle', look up cycling on here and you will learn loads! :)

As long as you keep the filter media wet there won't be too much of a problem, but taking all the water and the fish out is a bad idea in general as it causes a lot of stress to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom