Need help with Angelfish twisted Dorsal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolsen86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
First time poster and beginner to aquariums here. I could use a little assistance with a large angelfish of mine, but first a bit of background.

So, about 5 months ago I inherited an aquarium from an elderly couple that could no longer take care of it, and by the looks of the aquarium and the fish inside it seems they hadn't taken care of it for quite some time. I have managed to battle off most of the disease and such that was going on when it was inherited, but the angelfish seems to have something going on with its dorsal fin.

The angelfish itself seems happy, eats healthily, is active, and is full of personality (She's kind of hilarious when I get home from work and go down to feed she scoots right to the center of the tank waiting and wagging her back-end like it's a dogs tail. She only does it for me as well.) The problem is that her dorsal fin is bent and twisted all out of shape. It even looks like it was injured and when healing it fused it all together or something. She definitely had fin rot when I got her and the rest of the fins that were mangled have healed nicely. I had researched this before and saw some images that looked sort of similar and in my research it said that it is fairly common for angelfish to have crooked or bent fins, so I figured that all was fine and she just had a bent dorsal fin. That is until just tonight when she started trying to actually open up the dorsal fin. Now I am certain it is some sort of injury. Before tonight she had always kept it closed like it was just a stick coming out of her back. I am somewhat glad to see that she is trying to open it, as it makes me think I am doing something right and maybe it is starting to heal or fix itself, but as I said, it looks almost as though it was fused together. I almost want to try to spread it out myself (DON'T WORRY I AM NOT GOING TO DO THIS.)

So, I am hoping that someone may have some advice on what happened or if she will be able to fully open up her dorsal fin again. As I said, I am new to fish keeping, but definitely am loving doing it. Every other fish in the aquarium, the ones that came with and the ones I bought, are all healthy and happy. I just want to make sure that my angelfish stays happy and healthy as well. I can try to get an image and aquarium water readings posted if needed.

Thank you in advance for any help

Edit: Just read the requirements for posting, my apologies.
I do not currently have the tank parameters, but I will re-post as soon as I do.

It is a 55 Gallon tank

Inside the tank are,
1 angelfish (She is the one in question),
6 platies,
1 albino pleco,
4 mollies,
5 zebra danios

Filtered with a Tetra Whisper, I do not know the exact model number.

25% water changes twice a week alng with gravel vacuum.

If it looks like it is fused together then I would guess that it is fin melt. Since you didn't add a picture maybe you should Google pictures of fin melt to see if it looks like what your fish has.
Fin melt is caused by poor water conditions. If the couple wasn't taking care of the tank it would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom