Need help with GBR with bump/cyst/pimple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have not seen this before or if I have I do not remember. Background... Maybe unneeded info... I have always wanted my angels and rams in my 120 and my west africans in my 50. As it happens when i got my angels i put them in my 120. of course they got/were sick and 120 + 30 gallon sump is expensive to treat. So they went into a 29 for about 2 months for treatment. By the time they were cured i had already decontaminated the 120 and moved some Africans. So they went into the 50. I was out/off of work last week so I did it. I set the tanks up almost the way I want. Angels, rams, corys, plecos and a couple of other compatible species in the 120. I also added 2 female gbrs and 2 male angels. africans in the 50. The important stuff.... One of the gbrs began looking like he may have hith yesterday. I tested the water yesterday; 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 60-80 nitrates 2 d•kH I figured the nitrates were high (caused the hith/brought it on) because I fertilized as I typically would have and should have reduced the dose. I have him quarantined him alone treated with general cure. Yesterday started feeding metronitizole to every tank, paranoia. I preformed a big WC 50%+ today. New tank parameters; 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates 2 d•kH 1st thought maybe raise carbonate hardness but I have not. The tank is co2 injected and on a controller the pH fluctuates between 6.77 and 6.53 daily (at 2 d•kH) The other males GBR has stopped protecting his female and has a pimple/cyst looking thing on his side.

You can see it in the picture on his lower abdomen. Should I remove him too? i am running out of qt tanks (I have cardinals In another treating with macaryn plus). If I do qt him what should I treat for and with? I thought about netting him and trying to get a sample to analyze under the microscope but that would probably stress him A LOT. Please advise.

Attachments

• image-3108461913.jpg
    image-3108461913.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 73
You'll need to look up the medicine to treat him with but Angels Plus makes a medicated food for treating the parasite often associated with HITH. It's a hard call about QT'ing him but I would if possible and I'd also use the medicated food on the fish in the tank he was in.

You'll need to look up the medicine to treat him with but Angels Plus makes a medicated food for treating the parasite often associated with HITH. It's a hard call about QT'ing him but I would if possible and I'd also use the medicated food on the fish in the tank he was in.

I have been feeding all my fish metronidazole which is the med used to treat hith. I have looked all over the Internet (bc u can't post it if it isn't true :) for a disease/parasite/Protozoa/bacteria or whatever that presents itself in this way. That bump on the gbrs lower abdomen. Have you seen it present in this way? What do you think it could be?

Well I know what commercial you've been watching... lol!

It's uncommon for a HITH cyst to be that low but there can always be exceptions to the rule. It's hard to say what it is, it could be caused by a virus. Your just going to have to wait and watch. Your feeding medicated food so I'd just continue that and see how or if it develops further.

Back
Top Bottom