NEED HELP with hazy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhansarik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently started up a new tank. I use water softened water from my house (natures zone salt). It has been two days with now fish in just water. I use a start right chemical to begin with. I have a carbon/ bio filter machine on it running. Now i have hazy water with a ph of 8.4 and alkanlity of 300+. What should i do? I triend a neutralizer ph that does both raising or lowering the ph to 7.0 but after twelve hours my ph indicator still reads the same?

Welcome to AA.

I highly recommend you stay away from pH stabilizers, or up/down stuff. It's just going to cause you trouble.

Additionally, the softened water isn't a great idea either.

THe haze you see, since this is a new tank, is most likely a bacteria bloom, standard process of the nitrogen cycle that can become visible. I have one right now as well in a tank I setup last week.

The white cloud/haze in your tank will clear up as the cycle progresses.

Leave your ph alone, a stable ph is better than trying to adjust the ph. Can you bypass the softened water? I would do a large water change if you can bypass the softner and keep an eye on your parameters without adding anything but dechlorinator.

do i just leave the water alone, because all i have is soften water

so if i can get a hold of non-sofened water then, should i just start with the water then add start right and some aquairium salt to it and let it go?

You should check to see the feasibility of tapping your home's water system before the water softener is used.

Also, there is no need for salt in your aquarium, unless there are things going on you're not telling us about, or it's a SW tank.

no i read about adding salt to your fresh water tank to help with electrolytes. not make it a sw!

Back
Top Bottom