Need help with my Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need help.

Have 4 juvenile convicts since APR in 37 unplanted tall tank. Water parameters are historically good with pH 7, amm, nitrites both 0, nitrates between 5-10. Temp 70. Do weekly pwcs. Fish usually active, doing the dance in the corner when I walk by or they are hungry. Same pattern week after week since APR.

Three weeks back, after my wife mentioned they were "skittish", I checked the water and found that the pH had dipped (6.4) and nitrates were up to 20 which is unusual (amm, nitrites still 0) and learned she had been feeding them some pellets instead of omega one flakes I had been feeding them. That was stopped 2 weeks back returning to the flakes. I think some of the pellets were going uneaten and polluting the tank a bit. They would "swell". As mentioned, this food was stopped 2 weeks back.

PCW done two weeks in row, water is back to normal patter of a 7,0,0, <10 with a 3ppm rise per week in nitrates. Right now parameters 7,0,0, 5. But 2 of the fish do not seem to be eating much, and they seem jumpy racing round the tank if you go near. No visible disease symptoms, no new fish, substrate, plants etc. Just the PWCs. They have never liked these but get over it, an hour after I am done. The only thing my wife mentioned is that one of the fish, the fin wasn't as smooth as it had been and is more "spiny", but not seeing anything like I read of fin rot. They also seem more sensitive to the light now. More calm in dimmer tank. Fish are about 2-2.5", all male. Colors/markings seem normal. They seem to change depending on time of day, and mood from mostly black spots/short stripes to very prominent black stripes. They have always been decent tank mates with one claiming a cave, the others various plants. But no aggression usually swim together except for the cave dweller.

Any ideas?
Kevin

Everconsider something to make the water more hard, like limestone river rock?
Chiclids do alot better in hard water
6.4 if pretty low, could be acidification from decaying organics in the substrate, assuming you have pea gravel not sand? Might want to use sand?
Ever tested the GH of your water?

As mentioned, the water hit 6.4 in one test in last year the rest all 7. I think it was decaying organics (the new food my wife was feeding them, that they were not consuming) Water has been back to normal 7.0/7.1 for weeks now.

As to hardness, the water is somewhat soft. About 20 ppm total hardness as CaCo3. I could raise it. I had heard that they were pretty flexible on hardness and such. The thing is with the water changes it would be a constant thing to increase hardness and keep it constant, but I suppose I could make it part of the water conditioning. I use water conditioner, and change water with jugs, so could add a fixed amount of hardness all the time same as conditioner.

What I actually think it might be is space and tank size. I am currently considering a larger tank. The seem stressed and "edgy", darting around the tank madly versus their friendly behavior in past months. They would always race over to the side of the tank you were on. Now they do the opposite. But maybe, I will try the hardness first.

Kevin

How often you change water? What is gh/kh out of tap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I change the water about 1/week to 10 days at a rate of about 40%. The rise rate for nitrate seems to average about 3-5 ppm/wk, and change it when it reaches 10 or so.

As to the hardness out of the tap, I know GH only about dGH or about 20ppm ppm caco3. I do not artificially raise it from there, but I can if they will be happier.

I had read that they are good with 68-80 deg temps, and 6-8 pH, and soft-neutral water. My pH is usually pretty stable at 7, and the tank is 70 deg +/- small amount, so didn't think to add hardness.

Kevin

What i read as they are tolerable at low temps but like warmer water, but that's off Wikipedia

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks.

That's a good point, and fits with the data. The tank is in the "climate controlled" house, the tank is unheated, but the fish were obtained in APR, and all summer long the tank was about 72 degrees. But now in the NE, we are heating, so the average temp in the house has shifted a couple degrees lower. That is one thing I can say that has changed. I wouldn't think an average temp change of 2-3 degrees would make a big difference, but definitely fits with the timing.

I have one, easy enough to hook up and run. I just figured if I didn't have to I wouldn't because you always run the risk of overheating or some other mishap.

Kevin

Yeah you run the risk of overheating but you also want a consistent tank temp, i used to not run a heater cause my house was always 76, i went on a forum and was told no matter the temp a heather is important not only to keep a consistent temp but it prevents to low of a drop, you can always set it lower so it doesn't drop to much, i know when i was teaching my nephew how to do water changes he didn't temperature match the water like i told him to do, his convict and mbuna stayed in the caves until i slowly raised it back up his tank runs at 74

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

any thoughts on hardness? I can raise that as well, but reading all of the Convict "profiles" there are some conflicts, but most say soft to neutral. Plus, it seems strange that after 8 months, they suddenly decide they don't like soft water.

Any thoughts on tank size? I can make that a high priority as well. I can lower temps now versus summer might be making them a bit quiet, it doesn't explain why they are "edgy" darting rapidly around the tank and acting odd. Maybe it does, and they will go back to normal at 75 degrees.

I have the heater sitting next to me, and will be installing and starting that today, bringing up slowly to a target of 75-76. Does that sound like an optimum temp?

Kevin

Cichlids in general like the setup to look like their more natural habitat, rocks, caves, drift wood etc etc, you say you have 4 juvenile convicts in a 37 gallon my nephews convict is right now in a10 gallon with an mbuna and a RTS while i nitrogen cycle a 30 gallon (still to small), I'm still a beginner to this but every cichlid tank I've seen is bigger and had a natural look to it, just remember a bigger tank Means bigger filter, bigger heater, bigger everything, your best bet would probably be to draw out a scape get it all setup while it does the nitrogen cycle, meaning get your rocks , drift wood, plants (optional), cause it can be a pretty expensive upgrade, yes alot of stuff like the wood you can read up on to find what's safe and find on your own, rocks the same way, like i mentioned im no where close to as knowledgeable a these other guys i just read alot.

Just an update on my convicts.

I've been on the road all week, but my wife indicates that the fish are much more active, relatively normal now. So, it was likely the temperature. We brought it up to 77 deg F.

Regards,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom