need help with one of my female betas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animallover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings One and All:
I'm Animallover and I love all kinds of critters and creatures. I have a 55 gallon tank that was set up in April. I had it set up years ago and moved and went for a long time and just set it up again. I have two small tanks (one gallon) for two male bettas and among the fish in the community tank are two female bettas. I'm very worried about my female beta, Bella. For the last five days she has been laying at the bottom, not eating, and literally standing on her head. I thought she was dead a few days ago but something told me to leave her be. She is in a small little beta tank all alone at present until I can ascertain what the heck is going on. She has no signs of gil rot or fin rot and no signs of ich. She is not eating and she occasionally gets up and swims around the little tank and acknowledges me. For two days she had what almost looked like and umbillical cord and placental sac coming from her belly, but I've read that is not how it works. I've only had her a couple of months but I certainly do not want to lose her as I am very fond of her. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? Thanx anyone. --A* :fish2::confused:

Thanx for the reply. The two female betas were in my 55 gallon tank with other community fish. They have been there for hmm, probably about three months. Last week I noticed that Bella, the sick girl, was acting poorly. I had an empty male betta tank and so set it up using Prime in the water. That is the conditioner that puts slime in and takes nitrates out, etc. I have no idea to be honest what the levels are in my tank. I know that I clean the tank 1/4 of the water every month and the catfish and plecotomos take care of the tank and I use the "Prime conditioner" every time I change the water monthly. I live where I work and so just walk thru my front door into my work office where my fishies are. Just checked on her and she moves around a little bit, goes to the top occassionally, and spends time at the bottom. It's just so different then her previous behavior. She's always been so loving and playful in the bubbles in the big tank. I moved her mainly because I didn't want her to be picked on if she is sick. Can you tell me anything with the info I've given you? :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom