Need help, worms in fw aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am almost through with cycling my 55 gal fw aquarium and have 3 goldfish in it right now. When I went to feed them a little while ago I noticed small wiggly black worms on the glass cover of the tank and on the sides above the water level. From what I could find online they don't look like anchor worms and I don't see any attached to the fish. The fish don't seem to be affected from what I can tell. Does anyone have any idea what these worms might be and how to get rid of them?

You can find various critters in the tank, all are part of the ecosystem. They either hitchhike in with the substrate or plants (or maybe even food), or they come from the environment (insect eggs & larvae.)

Most are harmless. I've had nematodes, tubeworms, various bugs in the tank at one time or another. The goldies usu. make a quick meal out of them .... A pic. might be helpful in IDing the worm. Chances are, these are insect larvae. <Esp. since they are above the water line.>

I'll try to get a pic of them on here later. Thanks for the info, that makes me feel better. :)

Back
Top Bottom