Need helps ASAP regarding potassium permaganate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I have some fungus issues. I've mixed a stock dose of pot perm to do a bath. I can't find adequate info regarding the water I should be using to fill the bath. I've read that dechlorinator removes it and biological matter makes it less effective. So should I just fill a bath with distilled water? Being that the dechlorinator and bio matter mess it up I'm think that tank water is out of the question.

Great info! Thanks! Again it just says fill a quarantine tank with water. It doesn't specify what kind of water. Regular tap water that's dechlorinated? Water from the main tank? Distilled water? Unchloronated tap water? Or the aged dechlorinated water that you suggest for a regular quarantine?

Use aged water if you can - tap water overnight with a bubbler and heater. Add dechlorinator just before adding fish.

Also I love how you explain that anyone can have a qt tank because this has always frustrated me when people say they can't afford one! Almost anything can be a qt tank.

The water should be light to light medium pink. I would start with light pink first. See how the fish are reacting to treatment, then add a bit more, drop by drop by drop until its a medium light pink. That's why the video is the best help. The treatment if 4 hours. Check on the fish every 15 minutes to see that the water is still pink. Have Prime or hydrogen peroxide handy just in case you OD on the PP, and need to neutralize. After 4 hours, do a 50% water change with prime. Use aged water if you can as it is less stressful on fish.

This is the best treatment for surface infections - fungus, columnaris. It's also a great treatment for anchor worm, ich, and even flukes.

Keep the fish in QT for a few days. Add some salt at 1tbs./5 gallons if your fish can handle salt (no scaleless fish like plecos). The salt will encourage the development of the slime coat.

You can retreat PP in two days if the infection is still there.

Before placing the fish into the main tank, do a major overhaul - 50% water change, gravel vac, wipe down walls of tank. Replace filter floss, rinse out media in tank water. Wipe down filter walls and tubes. Keep changing the water in the main tank every day at least 25% for a week to ensure that the water is pristine.

Ok so the water I start out with before I add the pot perm is aged dechlorinated water?

Have a water light pink before putting fish in. You can always add more drops later.

If the water turns brown, add a more, a drop at a time so that it turns pink again.

Back
Top Bottom