Need info on Finrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalFan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've assumed that my female pineapple sword had finrot, because she died overnight. It could have been due to a difficult birth, but I am assuming she had finrot for all safety reasons. I need to know just how contagious, and lethal, it can be for fish. I emptied the water that I had her in, and I plan on putting my pregnant female marigold sword in it in the future so she can have her fry away from my other fish, but I was just wondering if the "fin rot germs" would still be in the empty tank. I am leaving the tank dry and empty overnight, in case that might help kill any of those germs. Would I need to clean my thermometer and plastic plants? Do I need any specific tank cleaner to kill the fin rot, or can I just wipe the tank out?
I also have another question... if my female pineapple DID have finrot, are her newborn fry going to have it? I really hope not, because they are so beautiful and I would hate for them to be sick as soon as they enter the world. Again, for all safety reasons, I am not putting them in with my three-week-old neon sword fry. I don't want my other babies to get it!
Thanks for all your help!

finrot

I'm guessing that the fish in question had some fin deterioration? Look irritated at the edges of the fins? I have treated this with tetracycline before with good results. I treated the whole tank. There were no other fish in the tank showing symptoms. It was not practical to extract the sick fish for quarantine at the time. I think fin rot is an opportunistic illness that usually strikes fish that are weakened by something else. I don't know how contagious it is. I will research it and try to give you a better answer though.
Logan J

if possible i would just keep the fry separate for a few weeks and see how they do, if they start looking bad, you can always medicate...i have never had a problem treating fry, but some ppl have had difficulties --i guess it depends on the type of fry and the type of medication, but if they are sick anyways, you don't have much choice...most likely they will be fine though, you other fishee probably did have something that predisposed her to that condition , whether it was stress or poor water quality, who knows...i would definately clean everything that was in her tank with a 1:10 water to bleach solution...just like invaders, if the number of the bacteria are higher in that tank because they had a host, there will be more present to wage war on your next fishee friend....just rinse well until you can no longer smell bleach, add some dechlorinator , and you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom