Need more help... Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to tear my hair out! I discovered white "salt" spots on my tetras last saturday and that same night my Platy "Sunshine" gave birth. After asking advice, sunday night I started treatment with RidIch+ as per the Aquamaniacs article http://www.aquamaniacs.net/ich.html Well, I am still treating the ich and several of the tetra *Still* seem to have a few white specks (though they are small). So far I have lost 2 tetras, 1 neon and an oto and I am nervous about all my other fish! My tetras are all kinda pale and washed out and the smallest neon looks in sad shape... also i noticed that their fins are looking a bit tattered as well.

Also my Platies are acting strange, they are at the top of the water line all the time! (especially my blue platy "Moonshadow") I was afraid she was dead, she was so still. They do not seem to be gulping for air, but they are just floating there... they will readily swim when I tap on the glass. Also my 2 Julii Cories are less active than they normally are. I am just afraid I will lose all my fish!! :( At least the babies seem to be doing well.

Here are the vitals:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: under 5
pH: 7.4
KH: 3
Temperature: 76

Aeration and filter: Bubble wall and Penguin 125 biowheel filter

Water change amount/frequency: 25% water change every night before medicating as per instructions.

Water additives/conditioners/pH adjusters: Amquel and Novaqua with water changes. RidIch+

What, how much and how often are the fish fed: Medi-gold 2X per day, Algae tab 1X per week. Liquifry 1X per day.

Tank inhabitants (number, size and type of fish):
2 Cardinals, 3 Neons
1 molly
2 Platys (plus 3 tiny babies)
2 Julii Corys
1 Golden Zebra Loach (1.5" currently)
1 Oto

Temperature: 76

Up this to 84. Ich cannot live over 82, but it won't kill your fish. Take about 2 days to turn the heat up, not all at once.

Not familiar with the med you are using, so stick with their instructions.

Any ich medication with malachite green works (I used NoxIch), just use half the recommended dosage in view of the tetras in your tank (the scale less fish tend to absorb more of the chemicals). Follow the regular treatment period give a day of break and repeat the medication till all the spots disappear.

Along with this you need to added half the recommended amount of aquarium salt ( again in view of your tetras), and gradually raise the temperature to above 80 deg. F. The salt helps the fish regenerate their natural slime coating as well as to destroy the Phase II Ick life cycle due to osmotic pressure.

With the following steps there is a very good chance that you will be free of Ich in your aquarium in a week.

As for the floating fish, give them a salt bath and add stress coat to help them.

Wish you good luck.

I tried Ridich+ before and it didn't really get the job done...however aquari-sol worked a lot better and faster...aquari-sol can also be added weekly to prevent ich from attacking again. But just like VENKIW suggested...use half the recommended dose on scaleless fish.

Back
Top Bottom