Need second opinion on disease.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't seen a positive diagnosis of it. Pretty much every case that I read about has the fish not responding to any medication and dying after a few days. Apparently it's just something else to add to the list of things that we don't completely understand yet.

Fair enough. :) I love my platies, but I know that they get inbred and inbreeding can give rise to strange ailments.

I got three conjoined twins in my first batch with her. I suspect that her genetic diversity left a lot of be desired.

I had this happen to my platy tank and I lost all of them because I tried treating for everything, which stressed them out and no response. The platies had fry that did not seem to get sick and I had transferred them, about 15, to a 10 gallon tank. Out of all 15, only two survived to adulthood and are still alive and very healthy. Happened during the summer and I sanitized the entire tank because I feared it was TB. My platies looked EXACTLY like that and because it was untreatable I assumed it was TB. Now, because I've had open hands in the tank and have not contracted it, I don't believe it was TB, though I may just have a good immune system. I think it may be a species specific disease but I have not found any info on what this disease was. No wasting away occured but they became emaciated so TB was probably not a problem especially because its so rare and no other symptoms occurred. If any other fish begins to look like that, my advice would be don't treat, just quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom